Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lore
Punch Card
Views: 2,097
Message 1 of 10

Pbms w T400 after bios update: long time to boot, TPM&internet connect pbms

Hello,

I have a T400 thinkpad, type 7417 that I bought in the US in Nov 2008 (it was downgraded from vista to xp). In November 2011 the computer was running slow so I decided to clean it up a bit and then do the maintenance recommended by the thinkvantage program. I proceeded to do all the smaller updates and the last one that was recommended was updating the BIOS (from what I understood). I left the computer doing these updates overnight, making sure it was plugged into a power source as specified by the update.

The next morning I found that my computer took 5-10minutes to start up and when it did, the screen resolution was altered as if it was in safe mode or something…I removed the HD and saved my data, then tried to use the Rescue and Recovery program to revert to factory settings. Although it seems that the factory settings were indeed restored I still have many problems with the computer. 1. it takes 5-10min to start (blank screen pre-windows logo) 2. it gives me 2 error messages once it has booted: 2a. "Tvttcsd application has encountered a pbm and needs to close." 2b. "There was a pbm connecting to the tpm (security devie) on this computer. It is possible that anti-virus or firewall software is blocking the connection. A missing or disabled driver could also cause this problem. Please refer to the online documentation for more information." 3. it cannot connect to the internet (either wifi or ethernet) 4. Ad-aware tells me it detects a malicious program running but cannot seem to clear it. I have seen several threads about these problems but cannot figure out if they are all connected or not. Before touching anything I was hoping for some help on how to proceed - I am no expert but I can follow instructions Smiley Happy I am currently running avast on the computer to hopefully get rid of whatever viruses there may be and see if that can solve the problem. All help is really really welcome please!!!! lore

Former Employee
Views: 2,067
Message 2 of 10

Re: Pbms w T400 after bios update: long time to boot, TPM&internet connect pbms

hey lore,

welcome to the forums,

could you uninstall all programs that you have installed on the system and leave only the ThinkVantage softwares.

now with just the ThinkVantage softwares installed; is the boot up time and the other problems which you have mentioned, occurring ?

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Guru
Views: 2,061
Message 3 of 10

I think, that the problem of the long boot time is related to the BIOS update:

After the BIOS update the BIOS needs to get initialized

• Run BIOS setup
  • Press F9 (load defaults)
  • Press F10 and then "yes"
  • Turn off computer if the display backlight turns off

If it does not help in many cases detaching the BIOS battery for a few minutes helps.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Coffee must be like women's eyes: deep black & shiny. ThinkPads have to be like men's feet: deep black & matte!
lore
Punch Card
Views: 2,047
Message 4 of 10

Hi serge,

thanks for the reply. I atually tried to go back to factory settings already and that did not help. But is that what you mean? I can uninstall my other programs, including office if you think it'll help.

I have also tried to use the rescue and recovery CDs but it does not recognise them for some reason...

Thanks! Lore

lore
Punch Card
Views: 2,027
Message 5 of 10

Thanks -  I will try that soon as I can. Can removing the BIOS battery cause any damage?

Guru
Views: 2,016
Message 6 of 10

No. - But if BIOS-passwords are enabled, you'll need the supervisor password to unlock the laptop.

Maybe you'll also set Config - SATA in the BIOS new.

My ThinkPad-Collection
Coffee must be like women's eyes: deep black & shiny. ThinkPads have to be like men's feet: deep black & matte!
lore
Punch Card
Views: 2,010
Message 7 of 10

Thanks, the laptop is my personal computer so I don't think it has a password...I don't remember setting one unless one comes configured into the computer? I'll try your suggestions over the next few days. Thanks again!

lore
Punch Card
Views: 1,974
Message 8 of 10

Hi again,

so I desconnected/reconnected the CMOS battery and restarted the computer - it worked! My laptop no longer takes 15min to start and all seems well.

I still have one remaining problem however - I cannot connect to the internet (either via etherney or wifi). I get the following error message on startu:

"There was a pbm connecting to the TPM (security device) on this computer. It is possible that anti-virus or firewall software is blocking the connection. A missing or disabled device driver could also cause the pbm. Refer to oline docs for more info."

When I try to look into the Windows firewall I get the following error message:

"Cannot start Windows firewall/internet connection sharing service."

Not sure if both of these are related or not. Any ideas? Would re-installing windows help?

Thanks so much for your help! lore

unit88888888
Serial Port
Views: 1,872
Message 9 of 10

this is truly disappointing work lenovo

Guru
Views: 1,858
Message 10 of 10

lore schrieb:
"There was a pbm connecting to the TPM (security device) on this computer. It is possible that anti-virus or firewall software is blocking the connection. A missing or disabled device driver could also cause the pbm. Refer to oline docs for more info."

When I try to look into the Windows firewall I get the following error message:

"Cannot start Windows firewall/internet connection sharing service."

Not sure if both of these are related or not. Any ideas? Would re-installing windows help?

Thanks so much for your help! lore

Did you "optimize" your computer with "Tuneup utilities"? This might cause problems like that.

Also check, whether the services "Windows Firewall" is set to start "Automatic" and running.
Third party desktop-firewall like Zonealarm, Kaspersky or Symantec Internet Security also can cause that problem. In that case remove it including all policies, test the connection and re-install it. Activate training-mode and disallow automatic blocking unknown outgoing connections.

My ThinkPad-Collection

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors