Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fundoo77
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,176
Message 1 of 9

Performance Not as Expected - T400 Windows 7

Hi All,

I have recently received my T400 which is pre-installed with Windows 7 Professional. Following is the high level configuration

T400, Intel Core 2 Duo 9600, Windows 7 Professional (32 Bit), 3 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD (7200 RPM), UltraBay DVD Writer, WiFi Link 5300, Bluetooth

While reading various articles over the internet, I had an expectations that the Windows 7 OS performance would be faster in comparison with XP and Vista. However, I do not seem to notice any performance improvements as such. It takes almost the same amount of time to boot up, open applications etc as with my previous XP and Vista machines in spite of my new T400 having more RAM than the others.

I am not sure, but this might be due to some additional and maybe non required processes running in the background. I would really appreciate if someone can help me with fine tuning my laptop to get the best performance.

Another thing, where can I get a media DVD for Windows 7 professional. Not sure whether it would be a good idea, but would like to do a clean install again. This might help get rid of the unnecessary software that was bundled with my laptop delivery leading to various processes running in the background.

Please let know if any additional information is required from my side.

Thanking you in advance.

fundoo77
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,105
Message 2 of 9

Re: Performance Not as Expected - T400 Windows 7

Hi All,

Any help to improve the performance would be highly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

TheDude
802.11n
Views: 4,022
Message 3 of 9

Replace your HDD with an Intel X25m.

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,003
Message 4 of 9

@fundoo77 wrote:

While reading various articles over the internet, I had an expectations that the Windows 7 OS performance would be faster in comparison with XP and Vista

In practice its not that much different... a salutory lesson in not putting too much faith in what you read on the internet!

You can build a set of recovery-to-factory-condition DVDs  for Win 7 Professional from the software supplied with your T400.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
medeiom
HDMI
Views: 3,937
Message 5 of 9

I also thought about the same with my T400 with Win7 Ultimate but I have done a few things to tune it up.

1. Get rid of any Lenovo pre-installed software you don't plan on using.  For example, I got rid of the Client Password Manager and disable any other Lenovo crap that you don't plan on utilizing as well (leave the Lenovo and ThinkVantage drivers alone). 

I kept only the ThinkVantage Tool, Power Manager, Rescue & Recovery, Active Protection system and Fingerprint reader software.

2. Make sure that Win7 is using both cpu's (intel 2duo core) instead of one.  Go into start, run, type msconfig, go to the Boot tab, click on Advance Options and set the number of processors to 2. Hit ok.  Back at the Boot tab, set the Timeout to 3 seconds (by default it's set to 30seconds)

3. I see a significant difference when you change the windows effects.  Fore example, I like it when I click on a window and it comes up immediately without that fade effect.  Right click on Computer, properties and click on the Advance system settings. Under the Advance Tab, click on settings.  I uncheck the first 2 and boxes 7-12.  This made a huuuuuge difference for me.  Every window comes up with a blink of an eye just like it should based on 4GB of RAM AND 2GB Intel Turbo memory.

I strongly suggest you go to YouTube and type Windows 7 tweeks or "how to speed up Windows 7"  There you will find some helpful vids.

fundoo77
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,872
Message 6 of 9

@medeiom

Thanks a lot for your tips. This has really worked out for me as well..

mkamosa
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,480
Message 7 of 9

Please I have a related question here. I have just purchased a ThinkPad T430 and it has been slower and hanging/freezing frequently. It's a Core i5 with Windows 7 32 bit and 4GB RAM. Please is it possible for me to increase the RAM to 8GB?

Secondly, I read the response of somebody advising that one can enable all the processors on the PC at start up through the msconfig. Please is there any disadvantage for doing that? I hope enabling all my 4 processors won't have any negative impact on the motherboard or other things on the laptop.

Waiting for your response please. Tq.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,476
Message 8 of 9

@mkamosa wrote:

Secondly, I read the response of somebody advising that one can enable all the processors on the PC at start up through the msconfig. Please is there any disadvantage for doing that?

Its quite pointless, and basically bad advice.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
mkamosa
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,437
Message 9 of 9

Could you please be more elaborate in expressing your view about what medeion posted above on that issue?
Why is that a bad advice?
Does it have -ve impacts on the PC?
Then what answer do you have on adding more RAM size to my 4GB Windows 7 32 bit?
I need convincing points.
Waiting for your response pronto.
Regards.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors