Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
due
Paper Tape
Views: 3,310
Message 1 of 6

Perfromance of T460 with NVME drive using 01HY319 (M2 to SATA Express adapter) vs SATA SSD drive

I managed to get hold of part 01HY319 for my trusty T460 and all works fine. It looks like this and converts from an NVME M.2 drive (M-key) to SATA Express connection on the motherboard.

large01HY319.jpg

SATA Express is only x2 PCI-E lines (rather than the x4 you get with "full" NVME support) so I was interested in performance.

Performance before with a 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA drive was like this

00001.jpg

Performance afterwards with the 01HY319 part and a 1TB Samsung 960 Evo NVME drive was like this

00002.jpg

Hope this helps anyone considering the upgrade.

Tosa
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,202
Message 2 of 6

Re: Perfromance of T460 with NVME drive using 01HY319 (M2 to SATA Express adapter) vs SATA SSD drive

I think SATA III interace have limit around 600MB/s.
What you get is above the limit which may effect by SAMSUNG rapid mode. Did you turn it on ?

due
Paper Tape
Views: 3,193
Message 3 of 6

Re: Perfromance of T460 with NVME drive using 01HY319 (M2 to SATA Express adapter) vs SATA SSD drive

The Samsung is an NVME drive. Its performance is about right when connected via SATA Express as its only using x2 PCIE lanes.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,187
Message 4 of 6

@Tosa wrote:

I think SATA III interace have limit around 600MB/s.
What you get is above the limit which may effect by SAMSUNG rapid mode. Did you turn it on ?

To echo what due said:  SATA and SATA Express are not the same thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA_Express

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Tosa
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,159
Message 5 of 6

I'm confuse now.
I thought the adaptor is to convert Nvme SSD to SATA. So clearly I was wrong.
Where is the SATA Express on the T460 board ? Is it WWAN slot? I read some where it doesn't support m.2 SSD in that slot.

As I say, I'm confuse. If you have some more information please share. Thank you.

due
Paper Tape
Views: 3,156
Message 6 of 6

The SATA Express slot is the same format as the SATA slot. The are a few extra pins that sit between the usual power and signal connections (ie, for the x2 PCIE lanes). They're hard to make out. The idea being you can use the same connection for a SATA or SATA Express drive. There are very few SATA Express drives though. Hence this adapter from Lenovo, where you can attach an NVME drive to a SATA Express slot.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors