cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nsamuel
Serial Port
Views: 239
Message 1 of 4

Please confirm the steps below to rejuvenate a thinkpad (SSD etc).

I have researched for few hours, and i think i have the following steps correct.  But i want to  check with the experts here, before  going ahead with the plan.  System is a T410 with Windows 7 64-bit.  Never did a driver or BIOS update, so they are as  it was shipped in 2010.  I have a SSD, that i want to transfer the system into, and get rid of the  old HDD that came with this laptop.  Here are the steps i  have in mind, to make this T410  perform better.  The new SSD is a 120GB  Samsung EVO 850  and currently 119GB  of  HDD space is used  (45GB of  that being  backups generated by Lenovo R&R).

1. Cleanup the HDD, first by removing all the 45GB of  backup created  by  Lenovo system  Restore& recovery.  I do not need backups transferred to new SSD. This will leave me with less than 90GB of used space in C: partition and the Q: partition in which the factory  recovery system resides.
  2. Use  backup software (Macrium Reflect)  to create a image of  C:  and  Q:  partitions.   I am not sure if this will successfully  create all info needed  to  recreate  the  Q:  partition.   I have  used  Macrium reflect  for another  system  and  i know the steps need to  recreate  the   C: partition  onto new SSD.  I am hoping that i can use the same procedure  to  recreate  the  Q:   (Factory setup of system)  partition  onto the  new SSD  because  i want  the  new SSD  to be  exactly  a replica  of  current  HDD   (in terms  of  functionality).
  3. Install  the  new  SSD  into the  system.
  4. Use  Macrium reflect  again,  to  transfer  from  image  to new SSD.
  5. Tag   the  C:  partition  on  the  SSD  as  primary partition.
  6. Remove the old  HDD and reboot the system.
  7. I have been told that  T410  only  supports   SATA - ii  speed  and not  capable of  SATA -iii.   But i will try a upgrade of  all drivers  and BIOS,  after  i verify  that the  SSD  is  functioning  properly  like the old HDD.

Thanks  in advance  for all  replies and  suggestions.

SeniorGuru
Views: 194
Message 2 of 4

Re: Please confirm the steps below to rejuvenate a thinkpad (SSD etc).

@nsamuel wrote:

Never did a driver or BIOS update, so they are as  it was shipped in 2010. 

I would do this first, i.e. BIOS, Lenovo System Update, Windows Update before transferring to SSD. There may well have been updates in the past 6 years that affect SSDs. Then repeat LSU and WU until they stop finding new updates. Then run the system for a few days to confirm that there are no issues introduced by these updates. And if you can, make a full disk backup to an external drive just in case something goes wrong below.

I have a SSD, that i want to transfer the system into, and get rid of the  old HDD that came with this laptop.  Here are the steps i  have in mind... 

The best way to do this is to put the existing HDD in an external USB enclosure and install the new SSD inside the T410. Then temporarily boot from the HDD. Run Macrium from there, telling it to clone the HDD onto the SSD. This will transfer the partitions and initialize them properly. When that's done, boot normally, i.e. from the SSD. 

I have been told that  T410  only  supports   SATA - ii  speed  and not  capable of  SATA -iii.   But i will try a upgrade of  all drivers  and BIOS,  after  i verify  that the  SSD  is  functioning  properly  like the old HDD. 

SATA-III drives will work fine in SATA-II systsems. While it's true that SATA-II will be slower, you won't be able to perceive it without a stopwatch. But the speed improvement going from a HDD to any speed SSD will become very apparent. In addition, consider a RAM upgrade to 8GB if you've got less than that now.

Serial Port
Views: 189
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for  the  tips.  I  am planning to do the    driver/BIOS  updates,   after  SSD got into place.   Only  AHCI  is essential driver for  SSD  operation, and that is in place currently.   This way, i would have the  current  HDD  intact,  without  any modifications  and i can always fall back  to this,  in case  the  SSD gives me trouble.  I was able to find another thread at  tomshardware.com  that  talks about  "Steps  needed to clone hard drive"  and  have got a confidence to go ahead with those steps now.  Will report back here (if i remember, and this is done within next few days).  

nsamuel
Serial Port
Views: 137
Message 4 of 4

Hausman,

I have acceted yours as solution.  Wanted to complete this thread by posting my  successful move to SSD  in this T410.

1. First cleaned up the HDD, removing unwanted directories/files (like windows backups, temp files etc). You can search the internet for finding various cleanup strategies. I did not use any software and neither did i cleanup my registry (since this does not affect system performance in any way).

2. Defragment the HDD,  turn off  indexing service of Windows,  turn off Windows backup/restore, perform a  "Disk Cleanup" using windows,  Setup pagefile  as you would like (considering the SSD in mind).

3. In my case, i  did not want to reinstall  all applications, as i have a whole bunch of them and have configured all apps.  In this case, a clean install would take too much of time and effort.  So, i chose to "clone" the  HDD, rather than  doing a fresh Windows install.  I chose clone over the "imaging process" using Macrium Reflect because  imaging each partition (C:  Q: and  hidden  SYSTEM_DRV of Lenovo)  would take more effort. 

4. Put the SSD in an external  USB enclosure.  Make a boot-CD  using  Macrium reflect,  since this feature is provided by  Macrium, and is safer to clone this way.   Now, i cloned my  HDD to  SSD.   Macrium, by default makes sure that the SSD  partitions are  4k  aligned.  So, no manual tweaks needed.

5. Now, removed HDD and put the SSD in that space in T410 and reboot.  Installed the  new drivers from Lenovo  website.  Then installed  BIOS updater utility from lenovo to upgrade to latest BIOS.

6. In addition,  i performed various optimizations i had neglected:   Turn off  unwanted "startup programs",  ran the  "performance  troubleshooting" utility  of  Windows (found in control panel),  Turn off unwanted windows  services  (like  Tablet related service etc.) - you can find articles on internet for these.

7. For  final  measures,  i ran  the  Free  Bitdefender that detects malware apps  and  removed  unwanted  services that were getting run automatically.  

The only trouble is that  i am not seeing  good enough  performance from the Samsung EVO 850 SSD  (in 4k random test of  CrystalDiskMark).   T410  was bought in 2010, and  is not reaching upto the  SATA-II  levels that i would  expect  it to deliver.  This  SSD is  SATA-III,  so i can use it in my next machine that will be a hardware upgrade.  I have posted my performance numbers in another thread.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors