Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harders
Paper Tape
Views: 1,152
Message 1 of 4

Potential keyboard hardware problem T410

Dear all,

since yesterday I have been experiencing a problem with my T410, which is potentially due to

a hardware issue with the keyboard.

A few specific keys are not working anymore. These seem to be the Power On key, the Fn key,

the Alt Gr key, and the ThinkVantage key.

I am assuming it is a keyboard hardware problem, since I cannot use the Power On button to

start the laptop. Fortunately, this is possible using the fingerprint reader start-up.

When the laptop is running (using Windows 7) everything is working fine, except the mentioned

buttons. I cannot access any Fn button functions (e.g. the reading lamp) or Alt Gr symbols (e.g.

the @ symbol which is on my keyboard on the 2 button) or power down with the Power button.

I tried various easy fixes:

* Making sure all drivers are up to date

* Remove and reattach the keyboard

* Static discharge procedure (unplug all power, 10 presses and 30 sec holding of power button)

* Checking Bios settings

* Replace battery

Unfortunately, these did not change the situation.

I am wondering if the simultaneous malfunctioning of these specific buttons points to a certain

hardware problem. I hope a replacement of the keyboard might solve this, but it could be an

issue with the motherboard.

Any hints would be welcome.

Thank you,

MH

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,146
Message 2 of 4

Re: Potential keyboard hardware problem T410

this is hard to say, it could be the motherboard (lower likelihood). But most likely it is the keyboard that is playing up. The keyboard is the cheapest component to test for the specific problems that you mentioned in the T410, so it is the most cost effective test case for the fault.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,120
Message 3 of 4

It really sounds like a failed keyboard

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
harders
Paper Tape
Views: 1,071
Message 4 of 4

Dear all,

thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately, it was not the keyboard. It appears to

be a more serious problem. In fact, since yesterday the laptop does not boot correctly

anymore. The boot process is started, but I only end up with a black screen, and some

randomly colored first few lines at the top of the display.

It all points to a major malfunction. Unfortunately, the warranty expired 3 months ago...

Regards,

mh

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors