Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mpcook
Punch Card
Views: 1,088
Message 11 of 20

Re: Power Manager

@gw74 wrote:

awesome! but how did you get v7.24? it's only at v6.40 on the support site, compatible with Win 7.

Not sure how, I think I must have used Lenovo Update, not sure where else it would have come from.  It opens as Power Manager 7 on the startup splash screen.

Hopkins
Paper Tape
Views: 1,069
Message 12 of 20

Strange.  How are you launching power manager? If I do a search for programs then "Power Manager" is not one of them.  The only power software that relates to Lenovo that I have is via the Metro-based Lenovo "Settings".  Just to re-state: my machine is a T530.

gw74
Punch Card
Views: 1,051
Message 13 of 20

@mpcook is there a readme.txt in the folder where the power manager .exe lives? if so could you post the contents here?

Hopkins
Paper Tape
Views: 1,046
Message 14 of 20

For the record, on mine there are no Lenovo .exes with "power" in their names.

However, the directory:

C:\ProgramData\Lenovo\Power Manager

exists, and contains the following files:

43220 LOCAL SERVICE.PWM
ISSC.log
PWMAPWHT.ini
PWMFHR.ini
ResumeLogs.xml

ZHK
Punch Card
Views: 1,036
Message 15 of 20

the registry thing worked for me, but it is very impractical since it requires a reboot.

i for one really miss the power manager threshold settings as it was on windows 7 and previous generations.

Lenovo, please put the function back, even a simple one like in Yoga, the "best battery life" "best battery life span" switch will do.

mpcook
Punch Card
Views: 1,028
Message 16 of 20

I  don't know my way around Win 8 very well.  However, I found the following file: PWMUI.EXE in

C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Utilities

This file launches version 7 of Power Manager, which works fine on my Win 8, including setting custom charge threshholds.  I upgraded from Win 7, it is possible this program was brought over from Win 7, or it was updated by Lenovo Update.

Hopkins
Paper Tape
Views: 1,006
Message 17 of 20

Thanks.  I can confirm now that PWMUI.exe does not exist on my T530 Smiley Sad

I did try installing another machine's version of Power Manager on it but the first thing that happened is the fans went bonkers, so I tried to uninstall it.  After that, all of the other power options stopped working and the battery was reported as missing or damaged.  Lenovo support could do nothing, and eventually I had to reinstall ths OS from the backup partition Smiley Surprised  Luckily it was right at the start of my use of the computer so I didn't lose more than a couple of hours of time.

Former Administrator
Views: 980
Message 18 of 20

ZHK,

That switch should exist under Windows 8 when you have the lenovo settings app installed.  However, best for battery life span limits charge to 50% of the battery, so you run times will be reduced.

I think I understand the consensus request to provide similar power manager controls that we had under Windows 7 for Windows 8.  

Mark

gw74
Punch Card
Views: 966
Message 19 of 20

Hopkins
Paper Tape
Views: 937
Message 20 of 20

Thanks for the links.  I might try some of the possibilities raised by the other power manager thread and report back.  I am a bit nervous, having baslled it up before, only now my machine is nicely set up and so a reinstall would cost me many hours!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors