Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tangoo
Punch Card
Views: 3,207
Message 1 of 10

Power on and hard drive passwords with special characters

Hello, I've got a serious problem. My T430 bios allowed me to set a power on and hard drive password containing an exclamation point (!). This was a few months ago. Now when I try to remove the power on and hard drive passwords the bios will not allow me to type the exclamation point character, it is not accepted. The only way I can login now is with my fingerprint reader. Even if I bypass the fingerprint reader and try to type the password directly the exclamation point is not accepted. I really hope someone can help me with this. What has changed Lenovo? All I can think to do is roll back the bios one version at a time, maybe a previous bios allowed special character? I scared though to accidentally reset my fingerprint data in CMOS, if that happens I'll be locked out permanently. I really don't understand how I was able to type this character to set the passwords, and now I can't. Please help!
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,140
Message 2 of 10

Re: Power on and hard drive passwords with special characters

I believe that no version allowed special characters.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
tangoo
Punch Card
Views: 3,138
Message 3 of 10

Then how was I able to set the exact password to Uu243!3x? That is the password, absolutely, no doubt about it. That is the power on password on two T430's, one Crucial 500GB SSD, one Samsung 500GB SSD, and a 2TB Seagate HDD in a HD caddy.

Lenovo? Where are you? I need an answer. We're talking about thousands of dollars worth of hardware.

I repeat, strongly, the password was absolutely, positively, without a doubt, set to Uu243!3x. Now the bios will not accept the "!". It did though when I set it. There is no argument here, this is the password. And how is it this is happening on two T430's?

I am not a rookie. I was even an IBM employee at the time they sold their hardware business to Lenovo. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,129
Message 4 of 10

Try typing the passwords leaving out the special characters

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

tangoo
Punch Card
Views: 3,121
Message 5 of 10

Yeah, I tried that, and every other logical solution, no luck. And no luck going back to an older version of CMOS, they all error out.
tangoo
Punch Card
Views: 3,109
Message 6 of 10

On a Lenovo, fingerprint data is kept in CMOS, and Windows. ThinkVantage Fingerprint Software can, it seems, transfer the finger print data to CMOS. Even if you uninstall ThinkVantage Fingerprint Software from windows, the CMOS fingerprint data remains until you reset it. If I was to reset the fingerprint data in my T430 bios I would be locked out of my T430 - and two hard drives with user level passwords would become worthless. My T430 allowed me to set the power on password and the hard drive passwords with an "!" under a different bios version. I know this for fact because all the passwords must match if you want to use the fingerprint reader to boot the computer, from powered off, and it will power up, pass the power on password and hard drives passwords, and login to my Windows account. But the passwords must match. My Windows password is Uu243!3x, so the power on password and hard drive passwords MUST be that password. Please please, someone tell me how it was possible to set the SSD and HDD passwords with an "!" under bios version pre 2.71, and now it is does not accept that special character? Does no one know? I am not wrong, I know the password for the drives. If I change my Windows password the fingerprint reader does not log me in. That is proof. Removing the power on password is extremely easy, but it will also erase my fingerprint data in CMOS. That means I get prompted for the password at startup, and the "!" CANNOT BE TYPED IN!!! Is there no one out there that has some ideas?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,085
Message 7 of 10

The windows password does not need to be the same as the power-on or supervisor passwords.  The windows password is stored directly and the power-on, supervisor passwords are hashed.  If you use windows hello, when you setup the windows windows pw and the fingerprint data ,it makes you provise a pin.  The next time you power on or enter the BIOS, it makes you enter the pw from the keyboard (NOT THE WINDOWS PASSWORD), and it is separate from the windows PW.  Your windows might be Uu243!3x, but your power-on PW is up to 64 characters that are numbers, letters or spaces. It will not accept "!".  (I would try the number one, which is :!" without the shift.)   Upper case is the same as lower case, so ABc = abc.  It uses key position, rather than what is printed on the key, so if you change from an English keyboard to a French keyboard, you would use the same keystrokes, but it would correspond to different letters.  So the same fingerprint can send one PW to windows and use another for power-on and supervisor and HDD.

Rich

ddphillips
What's DOS?
Views: 1,537
Message 8 of 10

Try:  uu2433x

That worked for me using lowercase and skipping the special character(s)...

JohnDaniel3
Paper Tape
Views: 110
Message 9 of 10

Why is it that (in my case) it's almost impossible to get any help? I've been a technician for 30 years and very rarely if ever do I get any positive help!!

I'm having the same issue as the OP. I entered a BIOS password R@d!c@l1 and it's been working up until today. I could actually WATCH each ******** pop up as I typed it in. Now, when I hold Shift and press 2 for the @ symbol,  nothing happens. 

If you don't know the answer, DON'T REPLY with some dumb comment as if WE'RE an idiot.

I know what my password is, I know I entered it and it was accepted in BIOS and I know it used to work. 

All of the mentioned "solutions" do NOT work so why is the even marked as "SOLVED"???

Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 91
Message 10 of 10

The password uses scancode (key location) not what's printed on the key.  ABC = AbC = abc.

They might have added an edit to beep if you type an "@", but without that edit, the "@" would be taken as if the shift key wasn't pressed.  That would be a "2" on a U.S. English keyboard.  A comment that doesn't agree with you isn't necessarily dumb.  It might even be correct.

Rich

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors