Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 4 (1,542 Views)

Privacy and Data Confidentiality for Notebook sent in for service

I need to send my T450s in to have the screen replaced.  I've received the shipping box with instructions.  The instruction call for me to provide my password.

I'm concerned about privacy and data confidentiality.  I'm thinking the only sure way to address this is to put a different hard drive in the computer. 

How do you get comfortable with this?

Thanks!

Louis

Guru
Message 2 of 4 (1,478 Views)

Re: Privacy and Data Confidentiality for Notebook sent in for service

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the forum.

I need to send my T450s in to have the screen replaced.

Lenovo doesn't need the HDD in order to replace the screen. The techs have lots of spare HDDs they can use for testing that the new screen works properly.

I would remove the HDD before sending the system in. Also remove any passwords you've set in BIOS, then restore them when the repaired system comes back.

I've sent in ThinkPads for service in the past without including the HDD out of the same concerns that you have. There's never been an issue with that. I also don't send the AC power charger. The techs have lots of their own. The less you send in the less chance they'll lose it. 

Message 3 of 4 (1,448 Views)

Thanks! Very helpful.
Highlighted
Paper Tape
Message 4 of 4 (1,386 Views)

Just letting everyone know that I sent my T450s in without the SSD and the LCD screen was replaced without question. In fact, they turned it around in 24 hours. Impressive service.
Top Kudoed Authors