Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anordlun
Paper Tape
Views: 241
Message 1 of 7

Problem with Resulotion when using multiple screens

Hi.

I have a T480s with an Intel UHD Graphics 620. 

I have connected this to a Dell monitor 2515H and a secondary Dell 2415 using a C-Dock dk1633 40a9.

When use the primary monitor only (2515) i'm able to use the recommended resouton 2560x1440 and the same when I use the secondary (2415) I get the recommendended resolution 1920x1200.

However, when I extend the desktop i don't get the recommended resolution, but another weird 2048x1152 scaled down resolution on the primary screen, the secondary remain on 1920x1200. 

This has been working fine until like for some weeks ago, and i have evern reinstsalled the whole computer without luck.

I have updated Windows, Windows GFX Drivers according to Lenovos page, I have upgraded the Computer BIOS, the CDock Bios, Thunderbolt Bios and the Thunderbolt software. I have also tried to create a new custom resolution in the Intel Control panel...

//Andreas

aUserHasNoName
WWAN
Views: 222
Message 2 of 7

Re: Problem with Resulotion when using multiple screens

It seems the usb-c (40a9) dock is not able to drive two displays with more than 1920x1080@60hz. I guess 19201200@60Hz would be also possible.     https://support.lenovo.com/de/en/solutions/pd029622#USB-C%20dock

Anordlun
Paper Tape
Views: 174
Message 3 of 7

Hi.

I managed to get hold of a Thunderbold 3 Dock gen 2 (Fully updated)(https://support.lenovo.com/de/en/solutions/pd029622#ThinkPad%20Thunderbolt%203%20Dock%20Gen%202)

but I still I cannot use more than 2048x1152 on the primary when extending the desktop, in single display mode this screen han handle 2560x1440

The secondary is showing 1920x1200 as it should in extended desktop mode?

The aspect ratio differ between the screens, is that a problem?

//Andreas

aUserHasNoName
WWAN
Views: 152
Message 4 of 7

Aspect ratio should not be a problem.

Make sure to connect the dock to a thunderbolt capable USB-C port!

I guess the dock should be reported as a thunderbolt device somewhere in the OS.

If dock is connected to a 'simple' USB-C port than the dock will have same resolution restrictions like the other usb-c dock!

Anordlun
Paper Tape
Views: 136
Message 5 of 7

I'm using the USB-c cable that came with the dock. Drivers and firmaware is updated aswell. The only thing that might be a problem is that I'm using a noname DP cable, but I've tried to replace it with a HDMI with no luck....

The Dock is reported as a Thunderbolt doch, btw...

//Andreas

aUserHasNoName
WWAN
Views: 127
Message 6 of 7

Just to be sure: if you look at the left side of your system, is the dock connected to the 2nd USB-C port from left (the port with the little thunderbolt sign)?

Are both displays connected with DP cables?

Do you use internal display as a 3rd display or is lid closed (just  2 external displays)?

Which display is configured as 'main' desktop?

Could you pls attach  screenshots of the display settings dialogs (or intels gfx control panel)  for both ext. displays?

Anordlun
Paper Tape
Views: 104
Message 7 of 7

Somehow, I managed to plug in the dock in the wrong port in the computer (Shame on me). The odd thing is that the dock has been connected to the same port since the beginning. Now I moved the dock to the other port and I had to grant permission to use that firewire port. Everything seems to work now....

Thanks alot for your help!!!!

//Andreas

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors