Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wilsonf
Punch Card
Views: 2,347
Message 1 of 5

Problem with Win 7 x64, WWAN or WiFi card and Windows XP Mode

I have a T500 with switchable graphics (2056-4RU) with a clean install of Windows 7 Pro x64 with the AT&T WWAN card.

With all the Win7 RTM drivers and Access Connections for Win7, I had a problem that the WWAN card (Ericson F3507g, purchased from Lenovo and working flawlessly under Vista 32-bit) would not initialize. Support told me to uninstall the Win 7 versions of the Power Manager Drivers, WWAN card driver and Access Connections and replace them with the Vista counterparts, which restored the functionality of my WWAN card. Based on the speed with which the support tech came up with the suggested fix, I suspect I am not the only one with the disappearing WWAN card problem.

Now I have found that starting the Windows XP Mode virtual machine kills the WiFi functionality (Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN) until I disable and re-enable the WiFi adapter in Device Manager and then restart the system. (I have not problems with XP Mode and with the Win7 drivers / Access Connections opening Windows XP Mode did not cause the problem with the WiFi.) Opening Windows XP Mode causes no problem with the wired network adapter on my system). 

Thus it appears that I can have functionality of the WWAN and WiFi adapters with XP Mode using the Released Win 7 versions and functionality of Windows XP Mode together OR I can have WWAN but not WiFi functionality with XP Mode using the Vista drivers that support suggested. However, it seems that I cannot have WWAN, WiFi and XP Mode concurrently.

I reproduced the above XP mode / WWAN problem / WiFi problems on a T500 with Win7 x64 owned by another family member.

Does anyone (particularly anyone from Lenovo) have fix for this?

Thanks.

hatbrox
Punch Card
Views: 2,312
Message 2 of 5

Re: Problem with Win 7 x64, WWAN or WiFi card and Windows XP Mode

for the sim card, try this:

http://jack.ukleja.com/update-ericsson-f3507g-mobile-broadband-on-windows-7-with-lenovo-thinkpad/com...

I have another operator and I finally gave up. apparently it's also no that easy to install the SIM card, if the plastic thing that helps to remove the SIM card  is not the right position, it will overlap the SIM Card chip.

can't help for the WIFI. I had the problems too with access connection and decided to remove it. I use Seven's network manager, which does an equally good job.

Since I have the switch to turn off the wireless, I don't really need access connection anyway.

Finally, something that I learns while struggling with the bluetooth driver: the order in which power manager, access connection and the different drivers are installed DOES affect their effectiveness. I forgot the details but I remember 2 things:

always read the TXT file that is available on the driver page on the lenovo web site and install power manager and access connection last.

Good luck

hatbrox
Punch Card
Views: 2,310
Message 3 of 5

wilsonf
Punch Card
Views: 2,275
Message 4 of 5

In order to get WiFi to work during or after a Windows XP mode session, I had to uninstall Access Connections and the Lenovo-supplied drivers for the Intel 5100AGN and the Ericson WAN card, and use only the Windows 7 in-box versions.

I have no idea whether this problem was caused by a MS update or something in the Lenovo software, and it's difficult to nominate one or the other as the source of the problem. Trend Micro Worry Free Business Security also is a candidate for the culprit.

It's too bad. I like Access Connections automatic fallover to various networks I have preconfigured with location profiles, and especially the ability to change default printers and home pages with different locations. However, I cannot do without my company's legacy 32-bit apps for back office function, so I guess I'll have to wait until I see this among the fixes for an updated version of something on the support web page for my system.

fischer
What's DOS?
Views: 2,103
Message 5 of 5

I have upgraded my TP R400 from Vista to Win7 (32bit) and despite the effort of the local support the previously working WWAn adapter does not work. The green LED under the screen is lit, but the wireless  power manager SW shows turned off. I tried to turn it on clicking the "Power ON" button, but nothing happens.

Do you think that your method  could work on my R400 computer?

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors