Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
micdab
Paper Tape
Views: 1,910
Message 1 of 6

Problem with external projector - T410s

Hello,

I have a T410s running Windows 7 64-bit. I'm experiencing the following problem when using the projector:

I connect the projector, everything works well for a few minutes and then the image begins to flash on and off continuously: it switches off (blue screen) then back on, off again, on again... and so on. There seems to be no remedy: i have to restart the computer and try again but the problem invariably comes back.

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have a feeling that it's caused by the graphics driver (NVIDIA NVS 3100M) but I'm really not sure.

Thanks a million for any advice,

micdab

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,899
Message 2 of 6

Re: Problem with external projector - T410s

Is this an Optimus based machine with both the Intel and NVIDIA GPUs auto switching?

micdab
Paper Tape
Views: 1,887
Message 3 of 6

Hi,

I'm actually not sure how to check whether it's Optimus-based... (sorry, i'm really an amateur...). I searched my C drive and found a folder called Display.Optimus containing a file called Optimus.nvi. Does this help?

I do have two GPUs: Intel and NVIDIA. Do you think that when the projector image goes all crazy, it's the two of them auto switching back and forth?

Thanks so much...

mic

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,885
Message 4 of 6

That's the problem.  You are using a dual GPU machine known as Optimus.  If you press the power button and hit the F1 key when the lenovo logo and information displays, you can get into the BIOS setup and Configuration. 

Change the Display setting to Discrete and you'll be able to use external projectors properly.

Use Optimus when you need to conserve energy on battery.

micdab
Paper Tape
Views: 1,880
Message 5 of 6

OK great, thanks for the advice!

I changed the "Graphics Device" to "Discrete graphics".

I also changed "OS Detection for switchable graphics" to "Disabled".

I'll see if this works during my next lecture.

One more question: when you say "Use Optimus when you need to conserve battery" - how can I change back to Optimus? Woudl i need to go back to BIOS and rechange it?

Thanks,

m

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,874
Message 6 of 6

Correct,  You would need to go back into the BIOS and flip the settings.  It's a bit of a hassle but the only sure fire way I know to guarantee control for the projector.

When you are on the BIOS Discrete mode and Windows 7 is running, you can use the Windows key + P to flip between the various monitor display settings (Computer only, Duplicate, Extend, and Projector Only).  Most presenters want Duplicate unless they are using advanced PowerPoint techniques with notes.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors