Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

05-18-2008

New York, NY

44 Signins

297 Page Views

• Views: 297
  • Message 1 of 5

Problem with warranty status of brand new T420

2011-04-29, 10:40 AM

I just received my T420 from Lenovo, for which I paid for 3 yrs onsite and 3 yrs Thinkpad protection.  However, a check on the warranty status of the machine on the Lenovo wesbite here: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=SITE-WARNTY&sitestyle=lenovo shows the machine as having a 1 yr standard depot warranty. 

I am hoping there is someone from Lenovo who can reply on how & when machine warranty entitlements get updated in their database.  In the past, when I have ordered Thinkpads, the correct warranty information has showed up on their system right away....usually at the same time as the shipment notification.  Now I am concerned that the machine entitlement will not be correctly recorded.  

Options

207 Posts

08-28-2008

Israel

7095 Signins

16925 Page Views

• Views: 16925
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Problem with warranty status of brand new T420

2011-04-29, 11:36 AM

It can take a week for the warranty to be updated.

13 Posts

05-09-2011

USA

8 Signins

263 Page Views

• Views: 263
  • Message 3 of 5

2011-05-10, 19:12 PM

I had this problem as well - I had upgraded to the basic three year warranty, but when I got the computer the warranty status online, like yours, only reflected that it was under warranty for one year.  I called Levnovo (can't remember if it was technical support or customer service, but I think technical support) to ask about it, and the person I talked to said that he would make sure that it got updated... not sure if he actually had to do anything or if it updated on its own, but it at least now reflects properly - so perhaps if you don't see the status change on its own online, give them a call.

I'd be interested to know if you did see the status update automatically.

Options

1022 Posts

01-07-2011

Sacramento, CA

550 Signins

8462 Page Views

• Views: 8462
  • Message 4 of 5

2011-05-10, 20:04 PM

This is an issue with the way Lenovo handles upgraded warranties, happens to everyone who gets one. They really need to fix it so that your upgraded warranty is active when they ship the system.

Options

9 Posts

05-18-2008

New York, NY

44 Signins

297 Page Views

• Views: 297
  • Message 5 of 5

2011-05-10, 20:36 PM

wrote:

I had this problem as well - I had upgraded to the basic three year warranty, but when I got the computer the warranty status online, like yours, only reflected that it was under warranty for one year.  I called Levnovo (can't remember if it was technical support or customer service, but I think technical support) to ask about it, and the person I talked to said that he would make sure that it got updated... not sure if he actually had to do anything or if it updated on its own, but it at least now reflects properly - so perhaps if you don't see the status change on its own online, give them a call.

I'd be interested to know if you did see the status update automatically.

n the past, when Thinkpads were made by IBM the process was automated for upgraded warranties as well as for post-warranty service contracts.  This time the warranty did get updated, but only after I had four or five phone conversations with tech support and then with the warranty entitlements division, both of which are part of IBM (service for Thinkpads including warranty repairs, etc. is still done by IBM).  They took it up with Lenovo after looking at a copy of my invoice/order and now the automated system reflects the correct warranty information.  I  I would recommend that others who might have this issue give tech support a call and have them connect you to the entitlements division during regular business hours.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms