Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
enforcer
Punch Card
Views: 1,673
Message 1 of 6

Product recovery hangs at recovery.ini

Im attempting to do a full factory restore on my T420. Im able to boot up with the recovery media and use FR disk 1 to get to the point of copying the file \recovery.ini. The Overall Progress bar shows a little under half way. At this point the system asks for FR Disk 2. The option to burn this disk when creating the media was not present and the create recovery media ended successfully while burning only the 2 disks (boot disk and FR disk 1). Ive done factory restores on tons of T500's and x220's for work and typically when you get to this point you can select NO when prompted for disk 2 and recovery continues and finishes successfully since disk 2 contains elements not essential to the factory restore. Ive clicked NO and it goes back to the recovery progress window...... and just sits there. No error messages, the system is not locked up, but no HD activity, no progress meter movement and the optical drive is silent. Ive never seen a recovery like this. Ive waited for an hour or so with no activity. No error messages... but no activity. All the buttons at the bottom are grayed since its in the middle of the process so the only option is to wait..... Anyone else ran into this?
Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,647
Message 2 of 6

Re: Product recovery hangs at recovery.ini

Hi enforcer,

I don't have anything useful to suggest - except this one random thought.  Can you minimize the window when the install is "hanging"? (sorry, I don't recall if this is even possible during a restore...)  I've seen a few cases when a popup window pops up _behind_ the main window.  You can't see the popup to click "done" or whatever, and the main window is locked until you do.

Just tossing *stuff* at the wall,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,645
Message 3 of 6

Well it could be a bad burn or poor DVD media used. Nothing can be done about that when it happens.

I'd say you were a candidate for a set of Recovery Media at no charge. You did due diligence and if the verification (doubt it does a verify after the disk is done though) it should be good. But clearly its not. Call support, you can pop in the DVD's into the DVD drive and they can see you've created them. Then they should have no qualm in having a master set shipped no charge. It is a very reasonable request and would be deliquent on Lenovo's part to refuse you.

Then you'll be good to go.

I've used Nero for years and Alway and I mean Always have the media read verified by it after burning anything, even music. For CD's I don't push it too high usually >24x 12 or 16 depending on the writer. Faster write speed can cause errors and I am not in that much of a hurry. I want them to work.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

enforcer
Punch Card
Views: 1,640
Message 4 of 6

Yeah unfortunately there doesnt appear to be any dialogue boxes that are "out of focus". Great idea though!
enforcer
Punch Card
Views: 1,627
Message 5 of 6

Agreed with what you said. 

Called Lenovo a few minutes ago and without hesitation the tier 1 rep said he was going to ship me out recovery media. Keep you posted on how it works. Should recieve it in 2 days. 

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,624
Message 6 of 6

I expect you'll have joy now.
Good luck.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors