Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jskang
Serial Port
Views: 1,126
Message 1 of 9

Question about using Vista Bus recovery discs on T500 with downgraded XP Pro

I searched to see if this one had been covered already and I didn't see anything about it. I also looked through Lenovo's support site and couldn't find any documentation with the specific information I'm looking for. So, hopefully, people here will have an idea.

I have a T500 that was ordered with downgraded WinXP Pro. It also came with a set of Vista Business recovery discs (four discs). I am considering recovering my machine with the Vista Business discs and getting off XP Pro but I had a couple questions.

1. As it currently stands, I assume the R&R partition that is on the HDD right now would restore a WinXP Pro system if I were to boot from and recover with it. Is this correct?

2. If I boot from the Vista Business recovery discs and use it for system recovery, does it create a new R&R partition that would recover a Vista Business "factory" install?

I could be wrong on my assumptions and even after booting from the R&R partition, it's really the recovery discs that I choose to use that would dictate whether I ended up with an XP or Vista Bus. system.

For what it's worth, I did create a set of R&R recovery discs for the WinXP Pro install in case I need to go back to that version.

I hope my question makes sense and that someone out there has an answer for me.

Thanks in advance!

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,114
Message 2 of 9

Re: Question about using Vista Bus recovery discs on T500 with downgraded XP Pro

jskang, welcome to the forum,

yes on both counts.

Recovery discs delete the entire hard drive, create the service partition and then the system installs from the recovery partition with the flavour of windows the discs are for.

That was a good idea to create the XP discs.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

jskang
Serial Port
Views: 1,111
Message 3 of 9

Re: Question about using Vista Bus recovery discs on T500 with downgraded XP Pro

Thanks for the quick reply, Andy!

Punkterra
Paper Tape
Views: 747
Message 4 of 9

i am having almost the same issue, thing is that the XP operating siystem the laptop came with preinstalled has problems and i would like to reinstall the XP (not VISTA). The recovery cd set are with VISTA, i want to know if the factory defaults installs XP or VISTA?

jskang
Serial Port
Views: 732
Message 5 of 9

It sounds like you bought the T500 with a XP Pro downgrade. Same as mine. If you ever want to do a restore of the factory XP install that came with your system, you'll need to make sure you made a set of system recovery discs with the "Create Product Recovery Media" application under "ThinkVantage" in your Start menu. If you're unable to do that, you're stuck either installing Vista or installing a full copy of Windows XP and manually adding back in all of the Lenovo utility apps, drivers, etc.
Punkterra
Paper Tape
Views: 711
Message 6 of 9

You sure that doing so, i will get XP recovery discs and not Vista? Because i think in the process, the procedure actually takes data from the recovery partition, which, in fact holds Vista. I don`t think it gets the date from the installed operating system.

How can i know for sure, Lenovo has a very big problem not sharing such information.

Thanks

jskang
Serial Port
Views: 676
Message 7 of 9

Read the first post (mine) where I had the same question and then the second post which answered my questions.
jskang
Serial Port
Views: 672
Message 8 of 9

Also, why do you believe the recovery partition holds a Vista recovery setup if you ordered the system with XP?
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 655
Message 9 of 9

If a system came with Vista or XP pre-installed from Lenovo that OS will be in the in the service partition enabling a restore to that same OS.

If you decide to switch to another OS you must create the recovery discs for the installed OS before doing this. Both Vista and XP recovery discs will delete everything on the hard drive, including the service partition, and install the OS and the service partition for that OS.

Hope this helps

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors