Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

24 Posts

12-02-2013

Germany

167 Signins

749 Page Views

• Views: 749
  • Message 1 of 2

[Rant] T440s - Defective UltraNav, defective keyboard, defective display bezel and horrible support

2014-04-08, 12:22 PM

Hi! I'll just need to let off some steam and maybe someone even has a suggestion for me what to try.

1) Apparently, my trackpad is defective. It sometimes fails to recognise clicks and the middle mouse button does not work at all. At frist, I thought this was due to driver issues, but after the firmware upgrade didn't work I came to the conclusion that the hardware is faulty.

2) My TrackPoint doesn't stay where it should stay. The red rubber thing is mounted on a grey plastic cap which should stick to the keyboard. However, my plastic cap always comes off. The TrackPoint always sticks to my finger and then falls out. Seems to be a defective keyboard, although it was never handled inappropriately.

3) The display bezel isn't assembled properly. I've read this from many people here in the forums, so it is a known issue. The thin plastic front cover isn't glued to the bezel and comes off in the right bottom of the screen and at the same point, the bezel once detached from the display lid, but at least now holds after I pressed it back on.

You would think Lenovo would provide some business-class support for a business notebook. After calling and providing pictures, I was told to wait for a further email. I didn't receive one until almost two weeks later because they managed to mistype my address three times. I had already provided pictures, but they wanted more. I sent more, sufficient to see the issues. They still told me to send more pictures. Obviously, I already sent enough and the best quality my camera can shoot, so I sent links to pictures in this forum from people having exactly the same problem. Still, "please send detailed photos".

I was also told to try installing a Lenovo pre-load in order to see if this fixed the trackpad problem. Guys, I already did four clean installs of Windows 7 and 8.1. With and without Lenovo drivers and with every available driver version. I can tell it's defective and a Lenovo pre-load doesn't change anything. My machine didn't come with a Windows licence, so I couldn't install a Windows with pre-load. Their suggestion was for me to send the notebook to a repair centre so they could wipe my hard disk, install a pre-load and see if the issue is still present (yes, it will be because the hardware is defective and it is your responsibility to fix it!).

I put the ticket on hold because this is unacceptable for me. I will now ask the vendor to return the machine or get a replacement. Sorry Lenovo, but that's not how you make satisfied customers.

Options

89 Posts

01-08-2014

Finland

258 Signins

1961 Page Views

• Views: 1961
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: [Rant] T440s - Defective UltraNav, defective keyboard, defective display bezel and horrible supp

2014-04-08, 12:56 PM

Well... My organization has just dropped Lenovo ThinkPads from the list of recommended machines. The reasons being dismal ergonomics (the main reason) due to the clickpad and persistent quality problems.

We were a ThinkPad-only shop for about 15 years. That is over now.

This is very, very sad. I would pay a reasonable premium to get something like W540 with the best display, but the old keyboard (centralized and not a brain-dead positioning like the new one) and proper buttons for the mouse.

Lenovo is really, really determined in killing the ThinkPad range.

Hence, just return the machine. And buy something else.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms