cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
francoisfleuret
Paper Tape
Views: 681
Message 1 of 26

Re-installing win7 on a secondary drive.

Dear all,

I just ordered a T420s with a 160Gb SSD + a HD adapter 43N3412 + a 500Gb hard disk.

I am planning to use mostly linux, and to keep win7 for games. Is there a standard procedure to erase win7 from the SSD and re-install it from the recovery disk on the external HD ?

This should of course be possible with a standard win7 install disk, but I wonder if the recovery disk permits so much flexibility or will only accept to put the computer back in its "original state", that is with win7 on the SSD.

Thanks for any information.

--

Francois

JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 669
Message 2 of 26

Re: Re-installing win7 on a secondary drive.

Before you do this keep in mind that Linux does not support TRIM (last I checked anyway), this will lead to a major decrease in the SSD lifespan. If you want to install Windows onto the hard drive you need to first burn the recovery media (click on the Q: drive in Windows Explorer). Then you have to remove the SSD and put the HDD in its place and boot the recovery media. When you put the HDD into the ultrabay caddy you should leave it in the cage that the SSD is in and only put the rubber bumpers on the SSD. The cage locks the HDD into the ultrabay caddy so that it does not move around. The SSD doesn't need the cage since there are no moving parts and the rubber bumpers will keep the SSD in place. This is how I have my T510 configured and I have been running it like this for 5+ months.

EDIT: What I did with my system was install Linux onto the HDD then placed the drive into the ultrabay. Windows see's a lot more improvement from being on an SSD than Linux does so it is a bit of overkill to put Linux on an SSD. When you boot the system just hit F12 and select the HDD in the ultrabay and it will boot as if it was the main system drive. The F12 option remaps the SATA ports when you boot from the ultrabay so the system cannot tell the difference and you do not run into any issues with the OS.

Highlighted
jmstuckman
Token Ring
Views: 662
Message 3 of 26

It might work. I don't think it will allow you to choose a specific drive to recover to, though. In order to force it to install to the external disk, try removing the SSD entirely and doing the recovery operation from burned recovery DVDs with HD in the ultrabay. Your problem is going to be that you'll need an external DVD drive to boot the recovery disks, because the ultrabay will be used by the HD adaptor. (You can't install the HD internally because it won't fit in the T420s drive bay.) After recovering Windows to the HDD, try booting it from the ultrabay adaptor without the SSD in place. Once that's working, install the SSD, install Linux, and set up GRUB to chainload the MBR of the HDD. Also, when setting up Linux, add the appropriate options /etc/fstab to enable the SSD TRIM support (and make sure you use a filesystem that supports it -- I think ext4 does.)

JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 653
Message 4 of 26

@jmstuckman wrote:

It might work. I don't think it will allow you to choose a specific drive to recover to, though.

It'll only restore the C: partition on the drive the recovery is on. This is why you have to do it from the recovery media that you burn. I also wouldn't recommend using EXT4, it has known issues.

EDIT: I forgot to add, whatever you do DO NOT perform a full format on the SSD, ever. Doing so will give a major hit to the drives life. If you need to wipe the drive you should perform a secure erase.

http://arstechnica.com/ask-ars/2011/03/ask-ars-how-can-i-safely-erase-the-data-from-my-ssd-drive.ars

francoisfleuret
Paper Tape
Views: 640
Message 5 of 26

Hi,

I am definitely not a windows expert, but if I remove the SSD when re-installing win7, there will not be a big mess up between the disk numbers ? i.e. win7 will configure itself as being on C:, and next time I boot the computer with two disks again, the SSD will be C: and the disk with win7 will be D: ?

Thanks,

--

Francois

francoisfleuret
Paper Tape
Views: 637
Message 6 of 26

@JDay

> Before you do this keep in mind that Linux does not support TRIM

It seems that TRIM is supported since 2.6.33, and is activated simply by adding 'discard' in the fstab entry corresponding to the ssd drive.

> What I did with my system was install Linux onto the HDD then placed the drive into the ultrabay.

So it is not clear that the recovery disk will allow me to choose which disk to install win7 on ?

Thanks,

--

Francois

JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 610
Message 7 of 26

@francoisfleuret wrote:

@JDay

> Before you do this keep in mind that Linux does not support TRIM

It seems that TRIM is supported since 2.6.33, and is activated simply by adding 'discard' in the fstab entry corresponding to the ssd drive.

> What I did with my system was install Linux onto the HDD then placed the drive into the ultrabay.

So it is not clear that the recovery disk will allow me to choose which disk to install win7 on ?

Thanks,

--

Francois

Nice, I did not know TRIM was supported now.

No, the recovery will not ask what drive to restore onto. It is a simple matter of putting the HDD into the HDD bay, booting the recovery media that you burn (you should burn this media incase of drive failure anyway), install it onto the HDD then swap the HDD with the SSD. One problem you might have though is that the 2.5" drives in the T420s are 7mm thick whereas standard 2.5" drives are 9.5mm thick.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 607
Message 8 of 26

By all means burn your recovery media before doing anything else.

One other approach that _might_ work. Boot a cloning tool (Acronis or your favorite Linux tool) from USB flash and clone the SSD to the HD in the ultrabay.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

francoisfleuret
Paper Tape
Views: 601
Message 9 of 26

@zoltanthegypsy
Thanks for the info.
And do you know if, if I have access to an Windows 7 install disk, I can re-install from scratch using the registration key that comes with the Windows 7 installed on the computer ?
Regards,
--
Francois
JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 599
Message 10 of 26

I forgot about this, you can just use something like Clonezilla to image the SSD onto the HDD. Then you don't have to worry about installing onto the HDD. The best part is Clonezilla is free.

http://clonezilla.org/

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors