cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 454
Message 11 of 26

Re: Re-installing win7 on a secondary drive.

It's my understanding that you can install from MS Win 7 install media and use the Lenovo-provided key - as long as the Win 7 versions match. IIRC, you can mix 32 and 64 bit versions, but I haven't verified this personally.

BURN YOUR RECOVERY MEDIA, even if you intend to use Win 7 media from MS. It's an investment in $1 worth of plastic, and it may save your ...bacon... later. Also useful to put the machine back to stock if you ever want to sell it or give it to you sister's boyfriend.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 451
Message 12 of 26

Hmm, 2nd thoughts about cloning or installing from recovery media: it may be that an install image built for an SSD machine will have features tuned for an SSD - and inappropriate for a hard drive.

They may be adjustable if you know what you are doing (I don't...) but in fact you may be better off installing from MS media.

BURN YOUR RECOVERY MEDIA ANYWAY. Did someone already say that...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

francoisfleuret
Paper Tape
Views: 447
Message 13 of 26

@JDay

But I am not sure I understand. Putting asside the boot sequence itself (that I would fix with GRUB under Linux), if Win7 is installed on the SSD disk, it is configured to be on C:, if I move it to the HDD, which is in the optical enclosure, it will now see itself on D:, no? and all the install will be messed up ?

Sorry if that's a dumb question, I am totally clueless in Windows ... (on Linux I would change two lines in /etc/fstab and everything would run smoothly).

francoisfleuret
Paper Tape
Views: 446
Message 14 of 26

@zoltanthegypsy 

P.S. I will burn my recovery media, and check them before doing any "bold move", don't worry Smiley Happy

JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 438
Message 15 of 26

@zoltanthegypsy wrote:
 IIRC, you can mix 32 and 64 bit versions, but I haven't verified this personally.

You can, it's been this way since Vista.

JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 436
Message 16 of 26

@zoltanthegypsy wrote:

Hmm, 2nd thoughts about cloning or installing from recovery media: it may be that an install image built for an SSD machine will have features tuned for an SSD - and inappropriate for a hard drive.

Windows 7 knows if it is on an SSD or an HDD, all you have to do is run the Windows Experience Index benchmark. No HDD setup, not even RAID will score over 5.9 in this test and Windows will adjust the system settings accordingly.

JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 434
Message 17 of 26

@francoisfleuret wrote:

@JDay

But I am not sure I understand. Putting asside the boot sequence itself (that I would fix with GRUB under Linux), if Win7 is installed on the SSD disk, it is configured to be on C:, if I move it to the HDD, which is in the optical enclosure, it will now see itself on D:, no? and all the install will be messed up ?

Sorry if that's a dumb question, I am totally clueless in Windows ... (on Linux I would change two lines in /etc/fstab and everything would run smoothly).

When you hit F12 to boot the BIOS will remap the drive in the Ultrabay to be the first drive in the system, Windows will not know the difference. Just use F12 when you want to boot into Windows and skip adding it to the Grub configuration.

jmstuckman
Token Ring
Views: 425
Message 18 of 26

@zoltanthegypsy wrote:
It's my understanding that you can install from MS Win 7 install media and use the Lenovo-provided key - as long as the Win 7 versions match. IIRC, you can mix 32 and 64 bit versions, but I haven't verified this personally.

I tried this on another computer once and it didn't work. A retail copy of Windows Vista wouldn't activate if the OEM key was entered. I'm guessing the same issue exists on Windows 7.

jmstuckman
Token Ring
Views: 424
Message 19 of 26

@zoltanthegypsy wrote:

I doubt that this is the case -- in the worst case scenario, any SSD helper application that's installed just won't do anything. I've moved an OS from SSD to HDD before (using the Complete PC Backup imaging tool built into Windows 7.)

JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 421
Message 20 of 26

@jmstuckman wrote:

@zoltanthegypsy wrote:

I tried this on another computer once and it didn't work. A retail copy of Windows Vista wouldn't activate if the OEM key was entered. I'm guessing the same issue exists on Windows 7.

All you had to do was install the OEM cert and then enter the key and activate. Instructions are all over the net. With Windows 7 it's a bit simpler, in fact there is a thread on these forums with instructions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors