cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
francoisfleuret
Paper Tape
Views: 2,495
Message 21 of 26

Re: Re-installing win7 on a secondary drive.

@JDay

> All you had to do was install the OEM cert

Is this the LENOVO.XRM-MS file ? Do you know in what directory it has to be added ? I checked around, and could not get a precise answer.

Regards,

--

Francois

JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 2,480
Message 22 of 26

You don't put it into a directory, you import it.

1. Install the edition of Windows you have a license for.

2. Run slmgr.vbs -ilc C:\path_to_file\LENOVO.XRM-MS

3. Run slmgr.vbs -ipk type_your_product_key_here

4. Reboot, Windows will be activated.

Be sure to open command prompt as administrator (right click the icon) when you run those commands or they will fail.

You can also try using this program.

http://directedge.us/content/abr-activation-backup-and-restore

francoisfleuret
Paper Tape
Views: 2,473
Message 23 of 26

@JDay

Looks exactly what I need!

This forum has been very helpful. Thanks all for your help.

--

Francois

francoisfleuret
Paper Tape
Views: 2,433
Message 24 of 26

Dear all, here is a short update, since everything is perfectly set up now: I re-installed win7 from a standard install dvd (that I downloaded, not provided with the T420s) on the external hd, and put linux on the ssd. Running os-prober followed by update-grub did the trick.

A few details though:

- My T420s has no sticker with the windows validation key ... I realized that after having erased the ssd. So I had to restore everything from the recovery dvds and  used ABR to get the key and the Lenovo certificate. Then, I re-installed everything, and used the same software to activate Win7 with the saved key and install the certificate.

- Win7 refuses to install on the secondary hd if the ssd is bootable (sigh ...). Same for SP1 ! You have to remove the ssd from the list of bootable device in the BIOS, before either installing Win7 or installing SP1.

- Debian squeeze does not handle the T420s ethernet controller. So you have to install without using the network, and then get a recent kernel from backport.debian.org, put it on a usb key, and install it from there. Note that to get graphical acceleration working, you also have to get a recent xorg from backport. Finally you can get a script to inactivate the nVidia card (otherwise you have to do it in the BIOS).

- The fan controller does a weird job, since it keeps the fans at ~4000rpm even at ~45C. This seems to be a bug in the controller's firmware which should be fixed soon by Lenovo.

Thanks again for your help.

--

Francois Fleuret

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,430
Message 25 of 26

Glad you are up and running.

No Windows key in the battery compartment? Weird.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

francoisfleuret
Paper Tape
Views: 2,421
Message 26 of 26

Ahem. The sticker indeed is in the battery compartment ... No idea it was there.

Now I feel like a big idiot Smiley Happy

Cheers,

--

Francois

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors