Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jefro
Paper Tape
Views: 108
Message 1 of 4

Recover bitlocker win7 partition, no access to old TPM

This is an odd problem. I have a T440s that I dual-booted for years using ubuntu and windows 7. I never encountered any problems, nor did I know that the Windows partition, which was the default OEM install from Lenovo, was captured under bitlocker, as I had never activated bitlocker.

About 5 months ago I became unable to boot this machine - the dreaded 4-beeps, which means TPM has died and it is unable to post. Fine, a new motherboard and I am back in business. Except... I'm not. The original drive was indeed set up for bitlocker even though I had never activated it from windows. Now the TPM it was tied to is totally dead, and I am unable to boot from the drive or bring up its partitions under ubuntu because it is "protected" by bitlocker, and there is no recovery password because I never set one up.

So.. under normal circumstances, I would say oh well, reformat the drive and go on with my life just a tiny bit wiser. However, in my infinite wisdom I have overwritten a backup that had some old but cherished information. I am 90% sure it is resident on this unreachable Windows partition, and nowhere else. Normal un-bitlocking tools are useless.

This sounds sketchy and it is exactly the situation MS sought to prevent by creating bitlocker in the first place. However, this protection mechanism is now preventing me from getting to my own data. I still have the old motherboard but it does not work. I would be grateful for any suggestions.

thanks

JimBobMC
802.11n
Views: 79
Message 2 of 4

Re: Recover bitlocker win7 partition, no access to old TPM

Wow...

I have no clue about how to solve your problem, but I had not considered the possibility of data loss as result of TPM/motherboard failture .............   a real bummer  :-(

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an ”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a Kudo
~~
Some years back I worked for IBM, currently I do not work for,
nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.
Jefro
Paper Tape
Views: 74
Message 3 of 4

I know, right?? I had no idea the drive was encrypted in the first place, much less that the failure of a part I didn't even use would cause my data to be irretrievable. Still hoping to find it on a forgotten backup somewhere, otherwise bitlocker is doing its job a bit too well.

JimBobMC
802.11n
Views: 71
Message 4 of 4

Ok ... this actually makes sense.....................

Bitlocker and the TPM work together.

but they should understand that either partner could vanish.....

Is this helpful:

https://www.msdigest.net/2016/05/how-to-repopulate-tpm-with-bitlocker-recovery-key-after-a-motherboa...

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an ”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a Kudo
~~
Some years back I worked for IBM, currently I do not work for,
nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors