Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WAS1945
Fanfold Paper
Views: 656
Message 1 of 14

Recovery Media Failure

I clicked on "Lenovo - Factory Recovery Disks", and I received a failure notification set forth in the attached JPG file.  The <recovburncd> text file will be sent in a following message.  Any ideas?

WAS1945
Fanfold Paper
Views: 655
Message 2 of 14

Re: Recovery Media Failure

Attached now is the <recovburncd> text file.

SeniorGuru
Views: 642
Message 3 of 14

@WAS1945 wrote:

Any ideas?

The Create Factory Disks utility is designed to run only once. The message, as well as the message in the log file at 21:14:41, are saying that someone has already done that.

[I agree it's a silly restriction because once you create the media you can clone it as many times as you want. Indeed I usually make a backup copy in case one of the media fails.]

What can you do? There is a way to reset the flag. I'm not sure if we're allowed to discuss that in this forum so I'll just observe that Google will be a great help Smiley Wink

Fanfold Paper
Views: 602
Message 4 of 14

I apologize for being such a dunce.  Frankly I've never had to create any kind of recovery disks on any system so far, and thus don't know what is supposed to result from the process.

Your suggestion was pursued and I discovered and successfully implemented the correction.

Accordingly, I was able to initate the "Lenovo - Factory Recovery Disks" option.  I directed it to a 32 Gb Flash Drive.  However, all that was generated were 3 small files, 2 in a Boot directory.  Is this all that was supposed to be created?

(There was one warning message that I failed to record, and could duplicate it if this is important.)

I expected a large backup.  But maybe all it did was point to the Lenovo Recovery partition.  Very confusing ...

SeniorGuru
Views: 595
Message 5 of 14

From the log you provided above it seems your recovery partition is drive W:.

1. Is that correct?

2. Is there data in that partition? There should be several GBs.

3. What OS was installed on the system when it was new? 

4. Is that the same version as what's running now?

Fanfold Paper
Views: 590
Message 6 of 14

In Reply:

1.  Correct.  I changed the letter to W: since Q: is my standard drive letter for USB External Drives (for backups).

2.  According to Explorer, there is 12.03 Gb.

3.  Though I gather the T540p is no longer in production, I purchased it new last month.  Windows 7 Pro SP1 is installed, and thus must have been the original OS.

4.  I haven't upgraded the OS but have updated it w/ the later fixes and such.

(FYI, the main reason for trying to obtain the recovery media is the possible need to reinstall 7 if I have to reformat the hard drive, in order to install two OSs that might prefer CHS to LBA partitioning.  I'm not sure yet of the exact geometry on the drive, nor whether there will be a problem, but just want to have this ability if necessary.)

WAS1945
Fanfold Paper
Views: 588
Message 7 of 14

As a brief update to my reply, if the change in drive letter is a problem, I suppose I could temporarily change it back - I guess, from the material I have read recently, Q was the original drive letter - create recovery disks, and then change it back again.

WAS1945
Fanfold Paper
Views: 587
Message 8 of 14

As a further brief reply, I searched through the Lenovo site as part of my registration of this machine today (apparently I hadn't done this previously) and discovered its "Rescue and Recovery 4.52" software.  I've downloaded but done nothing yet w/ it.

aUserHasNoName
802.11n
Views: 585
Message 9 of 14

there is a way to reset the counter.  See the first answer.

You can check first  if the command

type Q:\FactoryRecovery\RECOVERY.INI:DONE

has the output  '1'.   You'll need to change 1 to 0. 

WAS1945
Fanfold Paper
Views: 572
Message 10 of 14

Yes, I did discover the command to reset the counter.  The process then started.  However, it returned an error message of:

"Unable to find files for recovery media".

After your message I went back and reset the counter.  I also went to Disk Management to change the drive letter for the Lenovo Recovery partition to Q:, speculating it was looking for those files there.  And I started the process again, but it returned the same error.

Now, maybe, a reboot is necessary to let the system recognize the drive letter change; I'll later try this and see if it has any effect.  Opening DFSee, however, and looking at the drive designations showed that the partition is now shown as Q:; so I dunno ...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors