Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boot-up
Paper Tape
Views: 494
Message 1 of 2

Recovery disk will only install 32-bit

Hi everyone, I have a T420s, SSD, Win 7 Pro 64 bit. It caught a virus the other day and I decided to just erase the disk since I already have the factory recovery disks. There are four disks all together and labeled: operating system disk 1 and disk 2, Applications and drivers.disk 1 and disk 2. The disks are verified as being the correct p/n and are 64 bit. After I install the first one (operating system) it will prompt me to install applications and drivers before the second operating system disk is even installed. If I try to put the second OS disk in, it replies back wrong disk. So I install both of the App and drivers disks as requested and when I try to put the 2nd OS disk in at the end it still replies wrong disk. It will only allow me to install 3 of the 4 disks. It will install the OS with only 3 disks but it's listed as 32 bit under system type. Things I've tried: I have two sets of recovery disks and I've tried both sets. Same results from both. Updated the BIOS to new version Erased the SSD and tried to reinstall many times.. Set UEFI in BIOS to "boot only". The computer won't install anything, just loops to boot up list (F12) Have to set it back to 'Both" Legacy and UEFI to install anything. Would really like to get this back to 64 bit if I can. Tried reading up on GPT, MBR, UEFI ect...and it just added to my confusion. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
boot-up
Paper Tape
Views: 415
Message 2 of 2

Re: Recovery disk will only install 32-bit [SOLVED]

The Recovery Disc DVDs were mislabelled by Lenovo. If anyone ordered the Recovery Disc's shortly after the date of manufacture (circa. 2012) and are experiencing the same problem then it's quite possible that the disc's maybe mislabelled. Record and verify the P/N on the DVD, then insert the DVD into the laptop. View the DVD properties to verify that the numbers match. The DVD P/N printed on the DVD was 0B73798 (64 bit) which appears to be the correct one; however, when the DVD is loaded into the laptop the DVD properties show it to be P/N 0B73789 which is a 32 bit. The last two digits were reversed and therefore mislabelled. I called Lenovo and informed them that the DVD's were mislabelled. They sent me new Recovery Disc's free of charge even though the laptop is out of warranty and I was thankful for that. It has been a very frustrating five months and I'm not exactly pleased with the whole ordeal. Spent countless days searching and researching everything. After a few months I took the laptop to several shops and they stated that the DVD's must be mislabelled but they didn't know how to verify that. A simple recall notice from Lenovo would have been the right thing to do and it would have saved me a lot of aggravation. It only reflects on them as bad customer service. The laptop is running great now but next time it will be restored from the recovery partition...!

One last bit of info I want to share about the new Recovery Disc install. Even with the new DVD's there was a glitch. The first two DVD's (operating system) installed without a problem. It then asked for the 1st Applications and Drivers DVD and it downloaded just fine. At the end of the download it asked if I had a Supplemental Disc instead of asking me for the 2nd Applications and Drivers DVD which it should have. A pop up appeared with a Yes or No. I clicked on No since I don't have a supplemental disc. It then auto rebooted and installed the operating system without the 2nd Applications and Drivers. I had to reinstall everything again from scratch but this time I used the Applications and Drivers from the old set of DVD's I have and they worked. Two suggestions to Lenovo- Inform us as to which operating system is being installed on the computer when the 1st startup DVD is loaded. Not an hour later after a complete install, only to find out it is the wrong operating system. Second, you need to make sure that they WORK FLAWLESSLY before sending them out...!!! Of course, putting the right label on them helps also.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors