Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goldilox
Paper Tape
Views: 1,064
Message 1 of 6

Replaced Broken/Cracked Screen On My T510 Now Screen Is Very Dim

Hi, I replaced a broken/cracked screen (which was working fine with backlight) on my T510 with another LCD screen and now I can't see anything unless I hold it at a certain angle in bright daylight. I've read a little around this topic and some searches have suggested the LCD convertor may have been shorted so I replaced with another but still a no go. Others searches suggested it may be a fuse that I may have blown on the motherboard, if so is this an easy fix? As I can seen the screen is working, is it something to do with the backlight? Any thoughts/advice would be really appreciated. Thanks

jpou
Token Ring
Views: 1,055
Message 2 of 6

Re: Replaced Broken/Cracked Screen On My T510 Now Screen Is Very Dim

Backlight system consist of three components:

1) MB

2) Inveter

3) Lightsource

At the moment you don't know where the fault is, so you have to test each of components. Start testing with lightsource. You write that your previous screen had working backlight. If you still have that screen, connect it to your current inverter. If backlight is working on broken screen - backlight on your current screen is faulty. If backlight is not working test another component - inverter. Here you have 2 options:

1) Check for output voltage using Voltmeter (be sure to chek if you Voltmeter can handle HV that will be between output terminals).

2) Get inverter from eBay or any other after-market source. Most of inverters are generic, so search by manufacturers model number instead of Lenovo/IBM part number.

If it is still not working with new adapter 0 your MB will have to be replaced.

---
T430s (i7 / HD+ / Intel 520 SSD / 16 GB Ram)
Previous: X60s, Portégé R100
goldilox
Paper Tape
Views: 1,052
Message 3 of 6

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have done both. I replaced the laptop with previous broken screen and backlight was not working. I got another invertor board from ebay (I assume was ok as no testing was done) still no backlight. I have no voltmeter so cannot test to fully confirm this, is it worth buying voltmeter to be 100% sure? If it is the motherboard, is it likely to be a fuse as I've read the fuse sometimes blows? If so, I have also read it can be replaced, is this true and how difficult is it to replace a fuse? Thanks again

jpou
Token Ring
Views: 1,049
Message 4 of 6

Fuse on MB will be small SMD part. You must either have SMD rework equipment or special soldering iron to replace it.

---
T430s (i7 / HD+ / Intel 520 SSD / 16 GB Ram)
Previous: X60s, Portégé R100
goldilox
Paper Tape
Views: 1,047
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for the reply. I don't have any soldering equipment and will look to see if someone offers repairs to laptops and can do this type of repair. I will also need to consider if its a financially viable option to repair to sell on as a faluty laptop. Cheers.

ens86
Paper Tape
Views: 677
Message 6 of 6

I have to bring this up again...

I got exactly the same issue after replacing my cracked screen. Did you found a way to solve the problem?

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors