Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ITBrian
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,341
Message 1 of 7

Replacing T570 256GB PCIe SSD with a larger one

I have a client that purchased a ThinkPad T570 with a 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD. He needs more storage so he purchased a 512GB WD Black PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe SSD that he asked me to install. The T570 does not recognize the new 512GB SSD. 

Does anyone know how to get the T570 to recognize the larger SSD?  

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,335
Message 2 of 7

Re: Replacing T570 256GB PCIe SSD with a larger one

Hello and welcome,

Where is it not recognized?  Boot menu, BIOS, OS installer, cloning tool, somewhere else?  If it's an OS installer, what OS?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

ITBrian
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,315
Message 3 of 7

I have tried 2 methods:

1. I use a Win7 Boot USB drive and a program called Snapshot to setup all my new systems. Once setup has loaded I go to a command prompt and run the snapshot program that lists all available drives and writes the images to the main drive. On the T570 the only drive I can see is the RAM disk created by the WIN7 Setup program. No other drives are mounted not even the USB drive that was used to boot with. If I run Diskpart is says there are no logical drives.

2. I created a Restore USB Flash drive using the Lenovo Factory Recovery Disks program. I installed the new SSD and ran the Recovery program from the USB drive. I selected English Language and agreed to the terms then the program exited with a Recovery Failed message. 

The SSD is recognized in BIOS & the Boot menu.

If I run the standard WIN7 Setup it prompts to load a driver as soon as you click the Install Now button.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,298
Message 4 of 7

No idea what's going wrong with your recovery drive but with your other approaches, not seeing the drive implies that you need an NVMe driver.  The MS media asking for a driver (CD and/or DVD?) indicates missing USB 3.0 drivers.

https://support.lenovo.com/ec/en/solutions/ht103541

I take it this was a T570 with a 6th gen processor and preinstalled Win 7?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

ITBrian
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,290
Message 5 of 7

Yes it is the new T570 with Win7.

If the System Restore image was put on the USB drive, shouldn't the required drivers already be on it? Otherwise how can one restore their laptop? 

I'll get those drivers and see if it helps.

ITBrian
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,250
Message 6 of 7

I followed the instructions in the link you provided to create a bootable Win7 USB drive with USB3 drivers.

The setup program prompted for drivers. When pointing the install program to these drivers It shows 2 drivers. Intel USB3 eXtensible Host Controller & Intel USB3 Root Hub. They both get ""cannot be installed..contact your vendor for an updated driver" error. 

I assumed the USB drivers were the ones I downloaded from the Lenovo site for the T570.

I am going to try re-creating the Win7 Setup USB drive in case something went wrong.

If I run a Windows 10 Setup CD it sees the new SSD, but I need Win7.

Highlighted
ITBrian
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,210
Message 7 of 7

I finally got it working. Neither the Lenovo or Intel instructions on creating Bootable media for UEFI environment worked. Here is what I did to get it working:

1. Use Snapshot to backup all 4 partitions on original SSD to an external USB HD.
  2. Shutdown system, remove original SSD and install new larger SSD.
  3. Start laptop & Enter BIOS settings, change UEFI/Legacy Boot to UEFI only. Save changes & Exit.
  4. Boot with WIN10 setup DVD.
  5. When setup loads, press Shift+F10 to open cmd window.
  6. Use diskpart to setup the 4 partitions:
    diskpart
    select disk 0  (the new SSD was drive 0)
    clean
    convert GPT  (The disk has to be GPT format)
       - Adjust partition sizes to fit the new SSD. Partition 1, 2 & 4 should match the original drive.
    create partition EFI size=100  (HD1:1 - EFI system 100 MB)
    create partition msr size = 128  (HD1:2 - Microsoft Reserved Partition 128 MB)
    create partition primary size=462.71  (HD1:3 - Primary (OS) 462.71 GB)
    create partition primary  ( HD1:4 - Restore Partition 14 GB)
    Exit
  7. Restore the 4 partitions from the files in Step 1.
  8. Use diskpart to assign letters to use to repair boot files.
    diskpart
    list vol
       - the Windows & System partitions need a drive letter if they don't already have one.
    select volume 1  (My system partition)
    assign letter=S
    select volume 3  (My Windows partition)
    assign letter=C
    exit
  9. Use the bcdboot command to fix the boot records
    bcdboot C:\windows /s S:
       - I got some errors about missing files when this command executed .
          The original installation did not have these files so it was not a problem.
    exit  (this should close the cmd window and return you to the Win7 Setup program)
  10.  Close the Setup program and reboot the laptop.  
  11. Windows 7 loaded just like it was on the original drive except drive C: was a larger capacity.
  12. Reboot, enter BIOS setup & change the UEFI/Legacy Boot to both, save and exit.

Thanks for your help, you got me started in the right direction. I was not aware of the issues with Win7's inability to boot on the new technology.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors