Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MR213
Paper Tape
Views: 234
Message 1 of 9

Restoring Windows

I need some help. I purchased a Lenovo Thinkpad T440S. It came with Win 10 Pro. A couple of days ago I downloaded and I thougt I was installing a Win Project 2016 but instead what got installed was a win 10 enterprise version. So, I trry to restore the laptop to factory but instead whatever version of windows was installed it got deleted and instead what got restored was win 10 enterprise trial edition. My question is, how do I get a copy of windows that came pre-install with the laptop? 

Any help would be appreciaed.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 213
Message 2 of 9

Re: Restoring Windows

Hello and welcome,

The way I read the base spec, none of the the T440s machines shipped with Win 10 Pro.  It was 7 or 8/8.1.

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20T440s/ThinkPad_T440s_Platform_Specificat...

That means that '10 media isn't available from Lenovo.  Fortunately MS offers a free download:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you ever had 10 Pro running and activated, that fact will be stored on the MS licensing servers and an install of 10 Pro should activate when you connect to the internet.

Once installed you can grab Lenovo Vantage from the MS store.  I _think_ it will run on your machine. Run it and let it install the Lenovo drivers. If it doesn't play nice with a 440s, install System Update from the Lenovo download page and use that:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

Looks like there are Win 10 drivers for your machine.

good luck,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

MR213
Paper Tape
Views: 169
Message 3 of 9

Hi Zoltan,

Thanks for the information. I tried all the suggested options and unfortunatelly I couldn't get the to work. The way I see it, is that I might neede to install Win 7 Pro and later upgrade to win 10 pro some how. 

I purchased this laptop as a refurb at Fry's and it came pre activated with win 10 pro. So, the question is, how do I get this version or win 7 install.

I have 88 days to get this fix. This is the number of evalution days I have available on this win 10 enterprise.

Let me know if you come across any other ideas.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 159
Message 4 of 9

How about some details.  What specifically didn't work, and how did it fail?

It should not be necessary to go to '7 first and then upgrade ot '10.   Previously activated Win 10 should re-activate.

If you really want it you may be able to get Win 7 media by calling Lenovo support.  They usually charge for that.  They may or may not have it availabe for you vintage of machine at this point.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Kunder
SCSI Port
Views: 146
Message 5 of 9

You can get legal copies of Win7 on Ebay. You'll need to re-format to MBR, instead of GPT. Install Win7, and LEAVE it there.

MR213
Paper Tape
Views: 133
Message 6 of 9

The executable doesn't do anything. It goes really fast and displays the message: "Thank you for updating to the latest version of wndows". 

Let me call Lenovo to see if I can get a copy of windows. This really, really sucks.

Thank for all your help.

MR213
Paper Tape
Views: 132
Message 7 of 9

Thanks but I'm going to try get a copy from Lenovo.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 127
Message 8 of 9

@MR213 wrote:

The executable doesn't do anything. It goes really fast and displays the message: "Thank you for updating to the latest version of wndows". 

Let me call Lenovo to see if I can get a copy of windows. This really, really sucks.

Thank for all your help.

Executable?  I use the Win 10 media creation tool to buld a bootable flash drive.  Have you tried that?

Z.

MR213
Paper Tape
Views: 123
Message 9 of 9

I tried it and it didn't do anything. Right now I'm trying to download windows 7 ISO file from MS website.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors