Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
avrono
Paper Tape
Views: 3,409
Message 1 of 12

Running Two External Monitors on New T580 with MX150

I am trying to run two external monitors one via TB3 and the other via HDMI, each works individually but not at the same time. 

Does the T580 hardware support 2 external monitors, if so how would I set it up ? 

aUserHasNoName
802.11n
Views: 3,384
Message 2 of 12

Re: Running Two External Monitors on New T580 with MX150

Have you consulted the T580 User Guide?  I'm pretty confident you'll find the answer to your question in there.

avrono
Paper Tape
Views: 3,369
Message 3 of 12

It simply talks about docking stations - I don't want to use a docking station 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,364
Message 4 of 12

You're using the USB-C/TB3 port?  Have you tried the other USB-C port?

IIRC on my x280 graphics on one of those ports is exclusive of the HDMI port.

The base spec does say 3 independent monitors (one is presumably the laptop's display):

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

avrono
Paper Tape
Views: 3,361
Message 5 of 12

I have not tried the other port, (a) because I have not cable and (b) would not be able to charge. But I will give it a go ... else looks like a very expensive dock is the only way.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,358
Message 6 of 12

Apologies if I don't quite understand your use case.  According to the docs, either port can charge the laptop - if that's what you're concerned about.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

aUserHasNoName
802.11n
Views: 3,351
Message 7 of 12

check again!  Chapter 2 -  Using an external display.  

According to this you can't use USB-C  and HDMI at the same time.  No statement if this also applies to USB-C/TB3  port though. But I guess it's the same for this port too.

Maybe the 3rd display is a wireless display?

avrono
Paper Tape
Views: 3,350
Message 8 of 12

That's right but as I understand your suggestion is to use each port to connect to different monitor ? usb-c and HDMI does not work. I.e I can'y have one monitor on usb-c and the other on HDM. But I might try having both on usb-c - in which case unless I buy some sort of dock I cannot charge the laptop

aUserHasNoName
802.11n
Views: 3,342
Message 9 of 12

Z.'s suggestion was to connect the power adapter to the USB-C port and the monitor to the USB-C/TB port.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,340
Message 10 of 12

What I'm asking/suggesting:  plug one monitor into HDMI then try the other monitor in BOTH USB-C ports.

My X280 can do two monitors.  One HDMI and the other USB-C, but it only works with one of the USB-C ports. ... IIRC ...

Perhaps you've already tried the above.

[edit] Simul-post Smiley Happy

Z.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors