cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yoga2Pro_23
Punch Card
Views: 4,833
Message 1 of 5

SATA or PCIe NVMe SSD for Thinkpad T470?

Planning to upgrade the T470 with an SSD and trying to decide between 

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OAJ412U 

For an extra $86, I could get this drive, adapter and cable:

Samsung 960 EVO Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6E250BW)
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-960-EVO-Internal-MZ-V6E250BW/dp/B01LYFKX41

https://lenovo.encompass.com/item/11093685/Lenovo/01AX994/Ct470_Adapter_Hdd_Asm_Bracket

https://lenovo.encompass.com/item/11093086/Lenovo/00UR496/Cable_M.2_Ssd

Apparently, the 960 EVO would give me about 2 to 3 times faster performance than the SATA SSD.

Which one would you guys choose if it were you considering the usage is mainly coding and watching videos? Any insights would be great. Thank you. Smiley Happy

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,821
Message 2 of 5

Re: SATA or PCIe NVMe SSD for Thinkpad T470?

@Yoga2Pro_23 wrote:

Which one would you guys choose if it were you considering the usage is mainly coding and watching videos? Any insights would be great. Thank you. Smiley Happy

That depends.  Are we spending your money or mine? Smiley Wink

Given your use case I'd probably use the extra $ to go with a 500GB 2.5" SSD.  Then again, I'm a spec snob and might not be able to resist the NVMe drive.

As you've already figured out, the 470 only uses 2 PCIe lanes so that limits the NVMe SSD to something like 1700MB/sec.  The SATA unit would be more like 500MB/sec or so.  In practice, you'd probably never notice a difference.

FWIW,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

otheos
802.11n
Views: 4,807
Message 3 of 5

The difference is only in benchmarks (unless you have some very specific use). In real life you will not feel the difference.

The T470, as mentioned only uses 2 lanes and the speeds of the 960Evo will be close to 1800MB/s Read, 1500MB/s Write. While this sounds amazing compared to the 550/530 of the 850 Evo, the sequential speed is by far NOT the only indication of speed. 

I have replaced my Samsung OEM 512GB SSD (the 850Evo for OEM) with an 960 EVO 500GB (much faster than the 250GB of the family, but that's another story, check the reviews), and I have seen no measurable difference whatsoever. I use my T460p for kernel compilation, encoding video and large file manipulation but I cannot tell any difference after the change, even though the benchmarks are very different.

If I was upgrading now, I'd go with a 1TB (up from 500GB) SATA SSD and wouldn't bother with the NVMe. 

And by the way, this is NOT only because of the 2x PCIe lanes, as I had the same experience in my desktop, where the nominal speed difference between SATA and PCIe 4x is even larger. Again, nothing to write home about, expect for the price gap.

So check reviews of the 960EVO 250GB (that seem to put it at a disadvantage compared to the rest of the family) and then see if it's worth the extra price. Finaly I think at this time, 250GB is becoming a bit small, so maybe the extra capacity of a 500GB drive at the price of the NVMe drive would make more sense.

Your call. Enjoy.

Thinkpad T480s, Thinkpad T460p
Yoga2Pro_23
Punch Card
Views: 4,765
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for writing back, Z. Smiley Happy

Spec snob, love it. Smiley LOL I'd love to call myself that. It IS difficult to survive with the 250 GB SSD on my T420. Smiley Sad

So, have finalized 500GB 850 EVO!

5 of our computers are running fine with 850 EVO but does the 860 EVO ($20 more) apparently with improved write endurance have any advantage?

My only concern is if the 860 EVO would be as reliable as the 850. I had 840 EVOs before and two of those stopped working. Smiley Sad Which makes me leary of the brand new 860 EVO!

Thank you again.. Smiley Very Happy

Yoga2Pro_23
Punch Card
Views: 4,732
Message 5 of 5

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed message with the number, otheos. Smiley Very Happy

If the 960 EVO 500 GB is faster than 250 GB, why should I spend the extra dough to get the 250 GB 960 EVO along with those adapters? That makes no sense whatsoever. Smiley Surprised 

And no, my coding work doesn't come close to what you do and the fact that even on the desktop when the 4 PCI-E lanes don't exactly provide you a noticeable difference, makes it easy to stop thinking about the 960 EVO.

Yes, your post reminded me about how difficult it is to survive with the 250 GB SSD on my T420. Smiley Sad

So, have finalized 500GB 850 EVO as mentioned above!

5 of our computers are running fine with 850 EVO but does the 860 EVO ($20 more) apparently with improved write endurance have any advantage?

My only concern is if the 860 EVO would be as reliable as the 850. I had 840 EVOs before and two of those stopped working. Smiley Sad Which makes me leary of the brand new 860 EVO!

Thank you again Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors