Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cangileri
What's DOS?
Views: 457
Message 1 of 5

SATA speeds which is faster the external port or the DVD drive bay way

T410 with external SATA port 

Hi I need a second hard drive and I wanted to know which is the faster performance way to do it.  Is the external SATA port faster then the CD/DVD 2.5 drive caddy.   assuming both had the same speed hard drive 

thanks

Guru
Views: 439
Message 2 of 5

Re: SATA speeds which is faster the external port or the DVD drive bay way

All the SATA ports should operate at the same speed. That is the advantage of eSATA- you get internal quality speeds with an external device.

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 437
Message 3 of 5

Both the ultrabay adapter and eSATA run over SATA, they are the same speed.

cangileri
What's DOS?
Views: 424
Message 4 of 5

much thanks

Guru
Views: 401
Message 5 of 5

So I've been thinking about this, and on the T410 they should be the same speed (SATA II). However, that might be different on a T420 or any model with SATA III. I have seen no confirmation that the eSATA port in the newer models operates at SATA III speeds. Also it is my understanding that the chipset in the T420 and other current models supports at most two SATA III connections and then four SATA II connections. Since the HDD and Ultrabay are SATA III the eSATA port must then only be SATA II.

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors