cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmd_whoami
Paper Tape
Views: 256
Message 1 of 3

[SOLVED] T430 shuts down crashes when booting with Nvidia GPU enabled after Nvidia driver update

I tried to update the built in Nvidia NVS 5400M to the latest Nvidia driver from Nvidia's website R390 U8 (392.00)  WHQL

After reboot the thinkpad would crash imidately anywhere within a few seconds, to two minutes after boot. The only way to stop the thinkpad from shuting down after boot is to select intergrated graphics in BIOS and completely disable the Nvidia GPU.

I DDUed the drver and tried reinstalling... no dice. Nvidia says I have no compatable devices installed.

I DDUed and reinstalled the driver package for the NVS 5400M from Lenovo... no dice. Thinkpad still crashes right after booting Windows.

I tried to roll back the driver but the Nvidia NVS 5400M doesnt show up in device manager. Instead it says Standard VGA Graphics Adapter with a yellow triangle warning symbol. Properties shows error: "This device can not start" (Code 10)

I did a system update from Lenovo for all the recomended updates (not optional).

I checked Windows updates and everything is up to date.

I'm starting to think that the NVS 5400M died... But I'm still clinging on to hope that that's not the case.

cmd_whoami
Paper Tape
Views: 231
Message 2 of 3

Re: T430 shuts down crashes when booting with Nvidia GPU enabled after Nvidia driver update

I downloaded the lenovo nvidia nvs 5400m driver again from Lenovo...

I deleted the Nvidia folder C: DRIVERS/WIN/VIDEO/NVIDIA

Then I reinstalled the drivers from Lenovo while the GPU was disabled in BIOS.

I finished the driver install and let the ThinkPad reboot and load up Windows.

Then I did a reboot, went into BOIS and enabled the GPU again...

When Windows loaded I immediately went into the folder C: DRIVERS/WIN/VIDEO/NVIDIA and ran setup.exe as the directions say to do for the manual install of the Nvidia drivers only.

Nvidia setup.exe was able to detect the GPU this time instead of saying no compatable devices like it did when I download it directly from Nvidia.

I selected custom install and only selected the graphics driver, it got all the way to the end where it tells me to reboot... but before I could click on reboot the thinkpad crashed and powered off again.

When I truned the thinkpad back on  and Windows started to load I could tell Windows was trying to sort itself out.... like it does when you add multiple graphics cards.

When Windows loaded I immediately went back to setup.exe and tried running it again... This time it ran all the way through but didn't ask me to reboot so Im guessing it had detected the drivers were already installed from my prior attempt.

Checked Device Manager and Nvidia NVS 4500M was there.

No crash or shut down... Problem [SOLVED]

I'm still not sure what the exact issue was or what went wrong... But it seems the automatic Lenovo Nvidia driver install method wasnt working. But then again, Ive never had a computer crash/power off from having a GPU installed without a driver. Which makes me think it wasnt that the driver was missing.

cmd_whoami
Paper Tape
Views: 192
Message 3 of 3

Re: T430 shuts down crashes when booting with Nvidia GPU enabled after Nvidia driver update

When It's all said and done, that didn't work either. The GPU was running at 90 C... Something was seriously wrong.. I ended up having to restore from a back up I had made a few months ago. Then I had to delete the VIDEO folder again at C:/DRIVER/WIN/VEDIO and reinstall the CPU & GPU driver package from Levnovo back to that folder using the normal automated method.

With only the back up, before I reinstalled the drivers, it would work until I did a Windows update... Then after reboot everything was messed up again including my screen resolution. CPU was saying it had a unsigned driver, Thinkpad would crash with the GPU enabled ect...

Now the GPU is back around 50 C... No crashes. No warnings about drivers in device manager. I think I got it this time.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors