IL,USA

61 Signins

546 Page Views

• Views: 546
  • Message 1 of 14

SSD or Hybrid upgrade to my T510

2012-10-02, 7:22 AM

Hi, all,

I am considering upgrade my harddrive for my 2 year old T510 since my original 300 GB drive is filling up

I am considering getting an ssd or a Seagate hybrid drive, but I am not sure.

I want faster boot time and better performance. Right now it takes more than a minute to boot the system and sometimes seconds to load a large multimedia website. However I also need big storage since I need a windows and linux dual system and kinda store few movies and lot of music in the laptop. Since I don't want to replace my DVD with a second hdd, I am hesitating between the ssd and hybrid drive.

Just wondering if any of you have tried the hybrid drive on Thinkpad. How does it perform? And is anybody trying it with a dual system? I am kinda worried the dual booting will mess up with the limited 6GB ssd part of the hybrid drive, since it is so limited space for two systems and the management becomes much more complicated with two totally different file system.

Also if I'd like to go with an ssd, any recommendations? I looked at Samsung 830, Intel 520 and Crucial m4, all are good but the problems they are all SATA III while my T510 only support SATA II. Kinda of waste. But all SATA II ssd just seems out of date and with older technology.

Thank you guys so much!

Solved! See the solution
Options

63 Posts

12-11-2008

Singapore

135 Signins

887 Page Views

• Views: 887
  • Message 2 of 14

Re: SSD or Hybrid upgrade to my T510

2012-10-02, 7:36 AM

wrote:

Hi, all,

I am considering upgrade my harddrive for my 2 year old T510 since my original 300 GB drive is filling up

I am considering getting an ssd or a Seagate hybrid drive, but I am not sure.

I want faster boot time and better performance. Right now it takes more than a minute to boot the system and sometimes seconds to load a large multimedia website. However I also need big storage since I need a windows and linux dual system and kinda store few movies and lot of music in the laptop. Since I don't want to replace my DVD with a second hdd, I am hesitating between the ssd and hybrid drive.

Just wondering if any of you have tried the hybrid drive on Thinkpad. How does it perform? And is anybody trying it with a dual system? I am kinda worried the dual booting will mess up with the limited 6GB ssd part of the hybrid drive, since it is so limited space for two systems and the management becomes much more complicated with two totally different file system.

Also if I'd like to go with an ssd, any recommendations? I looked at Samsung 830, Intel 520 and Crucial m4, all are good but the problems they are all SATA III while my T510 only support SATA II. Kinda of waste. But all SATA II ssd just seems out of date and with older technology.

Thank you guys so much!

I've a 2 years old T410-i7 too & am also considering upgrading my main HDD with a SSD.

As you've already pointed out, the SATA controller in the T410/510 is SATAII generation so we'd not benefit fully from the current batch of SATAIII capable SSD drives in the market but newer SSD presumably have improved controllers & are generally backward compatible with SATAII controllers.

If you want capacity & performance without sacrificing the optical drive, you'd have to fork out a lot for a huge capacity SSD. Having said that, I'm also willing to trade my DVD-RW drive for my current 500Gb HDD so I do not need a really huge SSD as my system drive. I can encase the DVD-RW drive in a slim external USB casing or just keep it hot swappable.

Concerning boot times, I've been able to clock less than 1 min boot time with my 500Gb 7200 rpm HDD. The trick is to minimize startup apps & regular defragmentation. I assume you are familiar with these tips & are employing them.

And regarding dual booting Linux, if you go with the 2nd Ultrabay HDD option, you can still install your Linux in the main drive with other partitions in the 2nd HDD. I'm not sure how often you need to boot in Linux so it is my assumption that your Linux is your secondary OS.

Konker

Options

420 Posts

08-13-2010

Tucson, Arizona

1589 Signins

6792 Page Views

• Views: 6792
  • Message 3 of 14

2012-10-02, 13:55 PM

I have upgraded my T510 a few times, and went from the factory HDD to a WD Scorpio Black (320GB).  Definitely improved performance.  Next, I replaced the WD Black with a Seagate Momentus XT, 320GB.  Another boost in performance.  Boot and OS load times just under a minute.

Last month, I replaced the Momentus XT with a Samsung 830 SSD 256GB.  That has really worked out, and boot/load time is now about 26 seconds.

One thing concerns me, however, and that is your comment about filling up the OS drive.  That alone will drop your performance, especially with a spindle drive.   My rule is never fill a drive to more than about 60% of capacity.  I keep my OS drive fairly lean and mean.  All data storage goes to a separate Momentus XT 500GB in the Ultrabay adapter.

As for SATA II with SATA III drives - the only way you'll see any significant difference is in a benchtest.  My T510 is a definite winner, and I'm not in any hurry to replace it.

Options

59 Posts

04-02-2011

IL,USA

61 Signins

546 Page Views

• Message 4 of 14

2012-10-03, 3:36 AM
Thank you for your message and tips. You got to a very good point about the improved controller on the newer version of ssd and a hot swappable DVD-RW option for installing a secondary hard drive. Would you explain more about the hot swappable option? I know the DVD drive does it, but do you need to purchase something like an ultra-bay adapter for the hdd?
Options

59 Posts

04-02-2011

IL,USA

61 Signins

546 Page Views

• Message 5 of 14

2012-10-03, 3:39 AM
Thank you for your reply and suggestion. May I ask how well the Momentus XT perform on your T510? Will it be as fast as an ssd regarding the boot time? And is it only fast on running some pre-selected program?
Do you need to purchase another component from Lenovo if you want to use your hard drive in the ultra bay?
Thanks
Options

63 Posts

12-11-2008

Singapore

135 Signins

887 Page Views

• Views: 887
  • Message 6 of 14

2012-10-03, 4:46 AM

wrote:
Thank you for your message and tips. You got to a very good point about the improved controller on the newer version of ssd and a hot swappable DVD-RW option for installing a secondary hard drive. Would you explain more about the hot swappable option? I know the DVD drive does it, but do you need to purchase something like an ultra-bay adapter for the hdd?

Yes...you would need the ThinkPad Serial ATA Hard Drive Bay Adapter III.

The part number is 43N3412 detailed here. More information about the adapter here (PS: picture shows an IDE connector which is wrong. Someone should update that picture).

The Bay Adapter is hot swappable in that you can Safely Remove the Hardware anytime & eject the adapter from your T510 using the physical eject button below the chasis. I like the eject button layout better on the earlier T series.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

420 Posts

08-13-2010

Tucson, Arizona

1589 Signins

6792 Page Views

• Message 7 of 14

2012-10-03, 15:51 PM

Link to image

This is the standard UB III Adapter.  It will take either a bare drive or one mounted in the Lenovo caddy minus the rubber rails.  It is shoved in so that the SATA connectors are mated tightly, and then the tailgate flips down to secure it.

This is the 9.5mm adapter.  It will leave a slight gap when replacing the optical drive.  This can be cured by using the 12.7mm version, however, then the drive must be mounted bare and secured with 4 screws in the the back of the drive through the bottom adapter plate.

This cures the gap problem, but you lose the quick change in that it takes time to deal with the 4 screws.

I have both - I use the 9.5mm adapter for quick change operations such as drive cloning, etc.  For "permanent" use, I have my 500GB Momentus XT mounted with the 4 screws.

Moderator note: images larger than 50k converted to links per forum rules:  Lenovo Community Participation Rules

Options

420 Posts

08-13-2010

Tucson, Arizona

1589 Signins

6792 Page Views

• Message 8 of 14

2012-10-03, 15:57 PM

Additionally, I accept the fact that the Ultrabay Adapter and drive are hot swappable, but I consider that impractical.  That is because to remove the UB adapter, you must flip the laptop over and use two hands to work the release latch and eject slider.  This means disconnecting all cables.  It is physically possible to do this by lifting up one side of the Thinkpad, and working the two release buttons by fee.  I don't find that very comfortable or easy. :)

Options

59 Posts

04-02-2011

IL,USA

61 Signins

546 Page Views

• Message 9 of 14

2012-10-16, 4:50 AM
Thank you!
Sorry for the late reply.

I finally get the crucial m4 + ultra-bay setting and waits to install them.

I will update how they work after I used them for a while and if I could still remember to come here :)

Again thanks for your help and advice!
Options

59 Posts

04-02-2011

IL,USA

61 Signins

546 Page Views

• Message 10 of 14

2012-10-16, 4:50 AM
Thank you for your awesome image!

I finally get the crucial M4 + ultra-bay setting and waits to install them.

I will update how they work after I used them for a while and if I could still remember to come here :)

Again thanks for your help and advice!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save