Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

04-08-2013

Austria

6 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 4

Safely cleaning all data from Intel SSD drive

2013-04-08, 19:57 PM

Hi there,

I just purchased a used Lenovo laptop and would like to clean all the data from the drive; including, the OS. The last time I wanted to do something like this was years ago with a regular disc drive when it was much simpler. The drive is an Intel 320 series SSD.

Can anyone advise me how to whipe the drive completely and safely clean. I mean interms of the process and what tools to use. Using ideally free software?

The Intel's Toolbox is intended to be installed on a windows OS and obviously cannot whipe the drive its on clean. I also read that filling the drive with zeros is not recomended. I'd like to keep to safe methods that don't risk the integrity of the drive.

My second question is regarding security. I would like to make sure the previous owner does not have any software stored on board the computer to hack me or track me or snoop my data in any way. Is there any way I can check for this? It's a fairly new T420 Lenovo and the hardware seems pretty advanced, just seems like a lot of places to store this type of software and I just want the peace of mind that I looked everyone. I have heard of situations like mine that ended in malicious activity.

Thanks

Options

6849 Posts

10-29-2009

United States of America

17782 Signins

165144 Page Views

• Views: 165144
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Safely cleaning all data from Intel SSD drive

2013-04-08, 20:25 PM

T420 can wipe the SSD using the following tool:  http://support.lenovo.com/en_EG/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS019026

Options

5 Posts

04-08-2013

Austria

6 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 3 of 4

2013-04-08, 21:54 PM

This appears to be precisely the solution I'm looking for. Thank you in advance.

I have two questions, is it reasonable to simply use the zip download to load the exec file onto a USB and load from there or would you rather recommend going with the ISO option. They are drastically different size so i'm wondering if the ISO doesn't offer more options.

Secondly, in the FAQ mentioned the possible need for a BIOS utility in case the drive is an FDE Drive:

I don't see that option in my ThinkPad's BIOS. Why not?
There are two reasons the Disk Encryption menu will not appear in the BIOS: 1. The drive in the system is not an FDE hard drive 2. The menu option has not been enabled Since the BIOS menu is dynamic, the Disk Encryption menu will not be displayed if an FDE drive is not present. However, if your system does have an FDE drive, but the menu still does not appear, the menu option must be enabled using the following utility.

BIOS Setup Menu Extension Utility for the Resetting the Cryptographic Key

I read that FDE drives are Seagate drives and my model has an Intel drive, does that mean the above does not apply to me?

Again, thanks in advance. It seems this is the solution i'll be trying. I just need to be sure I'm going about it correctly.

Options

6849 Posts

10-29-2009

United States of America

17782 Signins

165144 Page Views

• Views: 165144
  • Message 4 of 4

2013-04-09, 1:42 AM

The link in your message is for older systems (T410 and older - check the list of supported systems).  These systems used a BIOS extension option that was enabled by running a special utility.  This does not apply to your T420.

T420 and newer use the Drive Erase Utility from the link in my message (again, check the list of supported systems).  The Drive Erase Utility can successfully wipe any SSD (FDE or not), and it can cryptographically erase any FDE HDD such as certain Seagate models.

As for the difference between the ISO and the ZIP - the ISO includes a complete bootable DOS environment, that's why it is 8.2 MB.  The ZIP only contains only the DOS executable itself which is a few KB, and you provide your own DOS boot environement (either floppy or USB key).  It's the same tool either way.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms