cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karlcz
Token Ring
Views: 6,377
Message 1 of 5

Set hard drive password and now cannot unlock!

I have a brand new T410s which has BIOS 1.34 installed from the factory. I used the BIOS option to set a hard drive password, choosing the "user" (not "user+master") option. Since I was just testing, I set an easy to remember password of "password". It has a Samsung SSD. However, now it won't accept "password" to unlock the drive and won't let me back into the BIOS unless I remove the drive before powering up! Is there any known bug with setting the drive passwords from this new BIOS? I have had many Thinkpads over the years, and have never seen one do this...
Guru
Views: 6,350
Message 2 of 5

Re: Set hard drive password and now cannot unlock!

"There was also a problem with what was a critical update, in which the BIOS update program added an extra random bit to the password data, which resulted in users being locked out of their systems. The update to the BIOS was unusable, because the BIOS password was required to access the BIOS. While Lenovo claimed that this problem only affected 1% of its computers, these 1% were forced to resort to inconvenient and sometimes expensive fixes."
(From Wikipedia)

I'm pretty sure the standard procedure for BIOS updating is to remove all BIOS based passwords before updating.

But otherwise, I don't think it'd be very easy to unlock the drive.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
karlcz
Token Ring
Views: 6,307
Message 3 of 5

Hmm, thanks for the interesting reference. However, in my case it looks like I'm the one who randomly changed my password while touch typing! I tried some typo'd variations and unlocked it with "passwprd" instead of "password"!
Former Administrator
Views: 6,264
Message 4 of 5

Glad you figured it out.

The referenced issue was on older models and only set a BIOS password, not an HDD password.  

Mark

rickhau
What's DOS?
Views: 5,286
Message 5 of 5

I have the same issue here. I never changed my HDD password since I had my T400. I typed the HDD password every single day for 2 years; however, it just suddenly showed up incorrect HDD password yesterday morning when I powered on the laptop. I do not have my backup data, could you please help me how to remove the HDD password? I contact local Segate vendor without luck to have my data back.. I really need the data. Or please let me know where I can send my drive to recover my data back? Thank you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors