cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
USER9936
What's DOS?
Views: 455
Message 1 of 3

Should An Internal Battery Failure Cause A Complete System Failure With My T460?

I have a slightly more than one year old T460 that worked great until last week when it just wouldn't start at all. A complete brick. The warranty repair guy came over and replaced the system board but the computer still will not start. He was saying that there may be a problem with the internal battery. The internal battery is warranted for one year and we are out of the warranty period. Besides the fact that 14 months seems like a kind of short time for the battery to completely fail, I was wondering if I should expect a complete system failure when the battery fails. I have replaced many notebook batteries in the past and I was always able to run the computer on AC power until I was able to replace the battery. Is that not the case with the internal battery on the T460? Sure, I can replace the battery but I don't want to order a $50 part and wait a week for it to be delivered only to find out that the battery is not really the problem. Both the internal and external batteries showed OK status the day before the machine went into brick mode. I this expected behavior? Can anyone comment on this? 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 442
Message 2 of 3

Re: Should An Internal Battery Failure Cause A Complete System Failure With My T460?

That doesn't sound right to me.  (to be fair, a shorted battery can cause it not to start)  I wouldn't buy a battery based on what you said.  There are probably 2 batteries.  Even if he didn't have a meter to test the internal battery, the guy could have determined if the battery was the issue by unplugging the internal battery and trying without it.  It will work fine with the internal battery disconnected.  I cannot tell what's wrong without seeing it, but I would check the power button.  I would disconnect both batteries and disconnect the CMOS battery.  (under the base cover, upper left) Push the power button a couple of times to drain capacitors.  Connect the CMOS battery.  Plug the machine in.  It should start by itself, asking you to set date and time.  You can see what the power button does at that point

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
USER9936
What's DOS?
Views: 436
Message 3 of 3

Re: Should An Internal Battery Failure Cause A Complete System Failure With My T460?

Thanks Rich! The tech is coming over again today with another system board and a known to be working battery. I will ask him to do what you suggest and let you know.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors