cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yoga2Pro_23
Punch Card
Views: 5,831
Message 1 of 8

Should I return the ThinkPad T470 and wait for T480 instead?

A ThinkPad T470 I ordered has been delayed a couple of times and will be reaching on Monday. Luckily, a friend is leaving on Friday and could bring the laptop to me.

There are plenty of posts about how efficient the 8th generation i5 processors would be.. Being so close to the T480 release, bothers me. If it was the same situation six months ago, I wouldn't have bothered obviously.

Lenovo's return policy is designed to make people hold onto their laptops.. 😐 (15% restocking fee and return shipping is on the buyer)

This is the configuration I ordered:

https://i.imgur.com/17wYqub.png

And intend to upgrade the HDD with a Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB and memory with a Crucial 16 GB dual rank memory stick. http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct16g4sfd824a

If anything, the laptop will be delivered on Monday and I could start using it in a week's time and but don't have any idea when I would receive the T480 in my hands!

Any thoughts would be awesome. Thank you, as always.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,778
Message 2 of 8

Re: Should I return the ThinkPad T470 and wait for T480 instead?

Nobody here will know when the T480 machines will start being delivered or what configurations will be initially available.  Usually, when a new model comes out, not all advertised configurations are available.  You ordered an FHD touch screen.  That config may or may not be offered initially. You also got a good discount.  I would not expect brand new products to be discounted initially.  Only you can say whether the T480's features are worth the time and money to you.  I wrote a review on one of the soon-to-be-released models.  The 8th gen CPU and updated graphics did much better than a similar 7th gen machine on all the benchmark tests, but for the things I do, I don't notice any difference while using the machine.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Yoga2Pro_23
Punch Card
Views: 5,745
Message 3 of 8

Thank you so very much for your response, Rich.

I can't think of buying a laptop anymore without a touch screen. So, FHD touch screen, backlit keyboard and a bigger battery are absolute must haves for me.  Also liked the ability to choose the SSD and memory stick for my liking.

Good to know that you were unable to notice any performance game for regular usage. With the bigger batteries on this config, I think the battery life should be fairly comparable to the T480, right?

Don't need a quad core processor for what I do and instead would prefer reliability and longer life time from the laptop.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,736
Message 4 of 8

I don't know about battery life on t470 vs. t480.  Sorry.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
BillyAmsterdam
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,637
Message 5 of 8

Yoga2Pro_23
Punch Card
Views: 5,594
Message 6 of 8

No problem at all, Rich. Thank you for all the insights that you've shared.. Smiley Happy

Yoga2Pro_23
Punch Card
Views: 5,593
Message 7 of 8

Thanks for the link, BillyAmsterdam! Appreciate it.. Smiley Happy

BillyAmsterdam
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,041
Message 8 of 8

Welcome Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors