Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jnsmueller
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,467
Message 1 of 7

Sierra Wireless EM7345 windows 10

How to flash the firmware of the sierra wireless em7345 on windows 10 ?  Its not possible through the steps i could find which was only for widnows 8. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,452
Message 2 of 7

Re: Sierra Wireless EM7345 windows 10

Hi

Once the modem drivers are installed, including Intel flash tool, and the sim card inserted, during laptop cold start the flash service checks out whether newer firmware is available according to current modem fw and the sim card data (more clearly, cellular operator MCC/MNC values), and performs the flashing process if it's needed, in auto mode. You should see appropriate notification from the flash service in the system tray.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

jnsmueller
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,449
Message 3 of 7

Well thanks. Unfortunately it didnt show me any new firmware. And was not able to surf the net even tho it always told me im online but it still didnt work. It was still version 1.1 on it, i got the latest version tho through the lenovo website. I was now finally able to flash it. I didnt know the folders i should modify were hidden so i found them now. It was kinda risky but now everything works fine and got version 1.2. I dont know tho why lenovo couldnt provide me with the latest firmware.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,441
Message 4 of 7

> I dont know tho why lenovo couldnt provide me with the latest firmware.

Why do you thinks so? The recent firmware images for a lot of cellular operators, Generic one is among them, are included in the drivers package on Lenovo support site. Take a look at my post above - if the flash tool doesn't perform the update it meams:
- the sim card data doesn't match specific images in the drivers package
or
- the modem fw is the same or newer than the package includes.

Of course, the drivers should be installed properly.

You can get current modem fw version and compare it with one in the package. There are several ways, one of them is:
- open command prompt window (win+R, cmd)
- copy, past to the window and execute the following string
netsh mbn sh int

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

jnsmueller
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,438
Message 5 of 7

Well but it wasn't updated. I even talked to the lenovo support but they didn't want to help at all. Only HSPA worked actually but as soon as it switched to LTE it stopped connecting to websites. The old firmware was even using the wrong name of my mobile operator which was the old name before they were bought 2 years ago. But now i have manually flashed the firmware and everything is working and even LTE.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,434
Message 6 of 7

> The old firmware was even using the wrong name of my mobile operator which was the old name before they were bought 2 years ago.

Actully, operator's name as well as some sim card data, connection profile etc. win8/10 provide themself, get them from internal database, not from modem fw.

ps. Too many blames in your words to fw, Lenovo, anyone else while the fw is updated, everything works as it should. Isn't it? ) How did you flash the fw manually? I agree, it's possible, if you know some tricks and have specific expirience.

jnsmueller
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,432
Message 7 of 7

No blame to Lenovo. Ive been using thinkpads for a long time and im a fan of them but it simply sucked cos when u have a laptop with an LTE module u also want to have it working even tho u aint using it. It simply wasn't updating the firmware and used two sim cards from two different operators. Now after the update it is also showing the real operator name.

Well i had to modify some stuff. I had to go C:\ProgramData\Intel\LENOVO MBIM Toolkit\FirmwareDatabase\PreInstalled and modify the FLSInformation file and also had to modify the config file in C:\ProgramData\Intel\LENOVO MBIM Toolkit\Config. I have found the steps on the internet.

It was risky cos stuff like that can break it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors