Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nreed_94
Paper Tape
Views: 5,384
Message 1 of 7

Smart Card reader on T450

Hey everyone, 

I just bought a T450 that has the optional upgrade of a smart card reader. I bought the Gemplus reader from the Lenovo website, after talking with tech support and getting confirmation that it is compatible. I ended up removing the bottom cover from my laptop, and taking out the plastic protective cover from my smart card slot. As it turns out, the Gemplus reader is far too big for the slot, and Lenovo tech support was wrong about the compatibility. Maybe the reader is instead an integrated upgrade, and not just a plug and go kind of upgrade.

Does anybody know how I can go about adding a smart card reader to m T450? I know it's an option, because the slot is there, and Lenovo offers the upgrade through their website (too bad I bought mine somewhere else for way cheaper). Any help would be great, as I'd like to start using my military ID to access Enterprise mail, without having to plug in an external reader. 

Thanks!

nreed_94
Paper Tape
Views: 5,362
Message 2 of 7

Re: Smart Card reader on T450

Ok, so I did some digging. Apparently the card reader is integrated into the computer. I would need a reader that has a ribbon cable, and it can be installed under the internal battery.

Additionally, when I opened the bottom of my laptop, there were some components where the smart card reader should have gone. I've noticed in the Lenovo installation videos, that these components aren't there. In the videos, there is just a empty spot where the card reader can be installed. My computer has a 256GB SSD drive, along with a 1 TB HDD. Maybe the components in the smart card area belong to my SSD drive? On the Lenovo website, you can only get one or the other (SSD or HDD). My computer came from a company that provides upgrades. Maybe they tucked the SSD under the internal battery, which prevents me from installing a smart card reader.

Anyone have any experience with this?
h8zgray
Paper Tape
Views: 5,348
Message 3 of 7

Hello, I had the same issue with my Thinkpad T450s, I believe they are the same part numbers which are as follows:

Fru # 04X5393 for Smart card reader

Fru # 00PA899 for the cable

Go to lenovo online parts store and request these two items in the search field. Then, in the mean time download the maintenance manual for the T450 and make sure you feel comfortable with the repair/installation. Also, just to be sure, you can chat with lenovo to verify that the above FRUs are compatible with the T450 which they should be. Hope this helps, best wishes. 

nreed_94
Paper Tape
Views: 5,341
Message 4 of 7

Perfect, thank you! I feel pretty comfotable with the install. I took off the bottom of my computer when I tried to install the card reader which didn't work. There's a little connection next to the internal battery that says "smart card". Do you know if the card reader comes with drivers pre-installed? Or if that is something I would have to download somewhere?

h8zgray
Paper Tape
Views: 5,319
Message 5 of 7

If I remember correctly, the drivers will install automatically from Windwos update or may even me availalbe natively from the Windows installation (I am using Windows 10 currently). Also, addional drivers will install once you inseryt a CAC/PIV/SmartCard. If not, use the lenovo System Update tool to query for the appropriate drivers. Hope this helps.

sleepercell
Paper Tape
Views: 5,019
Message 6 of 7

Did the FRU part end up working? Did you need cable? I have a t450 as well that did not come with a smart card reader. I am also in the military and trying to find the smart card reader and how to install. Thanks for any info about the correct FRU.

jonnathanlopes
What's DOS?
Views: 495
Message 7 of 7

Hi

How did you put two HDDs in your Lenovo T450?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors