Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidwashburn
Paper Tape
Views: 2,045
Message 1 of 7

Support Site Can't Read Serial Number - Unable to Download Windows 10 Upgrade

We received a bunch of new computers (T570's, T470's, M710q's). They all have Windows 7 but we purchased Windows 10 Upgrades for them. The support site doesn't recognize any of their serial numbers. Does anyone know how to upgrade to Windows 10 quickly on these? I assume this is because their site needs to be updated to recognize the new Serial Numbers? It's killing us being unable to deploy these.

Thanks,

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,005
Message 2 of 7

Re: Support Site Can't Read Serial Number - Unable to Download Windows 10 Upgrade

I could be wrong, but it is my understanding is that if you purchased the upgrade when you ordered the system, the Windows 10 product key should already be embedded in the BIOS even if the system shipped with Windows 7, so you should be able to just create Windows 10 Installation media for the version of Windows you purchased, a then use it to perform the upgrade.    

If asks for a product key during the upgrade, just skip that step and it should activate upon completion.

If you are trying to order the recovery media from lenovo, I would probably call Lenovo support if the serial number is not being recognized.   

Windows 10 Upgrade Guide

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht103822

Create installation media for Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media  

Cheers,

davidwashburn
Paper Tape
Views: 1,996
Message 3 of 7

Re: Support Site Can't Read Serial Number - Unable to Download Windows 10 Upgrade

Thanks for the feedback. My primary issue is that I purchasd Windows 10 Pro for these computers. The standard Windows 10 Media Creation Tool only offers "Windows 10" (which is Home) or "Windows 10 N" which is....frankly I have no idea. But doesn't seem like pro.

I did request a recovery tool from Lenovo but that takes a few days to ship, and it's only good for T570 models. I guess I'll need to ask for M710Q and T470 versions unless someone has a different suggestion.

Thanks again,

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,989
Message 4 of 7

Microsoft used to have a separate listing for Pro, but they changed that a while back, so now the version of Windows 10 installed is determined by the digital entitlement (stored in the BIOS, or the Product Key entered during Windows Setup, so you just need to create a Windows 10 (64-bit I presume) copy of the installation media, and the license will determine the version installed.  

The N Edition is a version that removes some features (see below)

Media Feature Pack for N editions of Windows 10 Version 1607

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3133719/media-feature-pack-for-n-editions-of-windows-10-ver...

Windows 10 - All features such as Media, Apps and many more

Windows 10 N - The N version of Windows comes without a media player baked into the system. This version stems from a European Commission order back in 2004, which fined Microsoft €497 million for anti-competitive practices.

Windows 10 Single Language - It can be installed with the only selected language. You cannot change or upgrade later on to a different language.

Cheers,

davidwashburn
Paper Tape
Views: 1,987
Message 5 of 7

Oh excellent, thanks. I'm testing this right now by downloading it to a USB drive. I'll let you know how it goes. For now I will assign you with the correct answer. Thanks again.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,984
Message 6 of 7

OK, best of luck, and please do reply on how the upgrade went.

davidwashburn
Paper Tape
Views: 1,915
Message 7 of 7

Yep, it worked! Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors