Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

21 Posts

11-12-2011

Metro Raleigh, NC

76 Signins

653 Page Views

• Views: 653
  • Message 11 of 11

Re: Surge protection and hard power shutdown damage

2011-11-17, 5:37 AM

1.  You *really* need to avoid hard shutdowns.  If you run without battery, get a low cost UPS, which will also provide an additional layer of protection against power line spikes from nearby lightning or power line switching transients.  APC has some low cost UPS units which do a fine job for perhaps $50-60 (USD).   I have one on each computer here and when a T-storm is coming I can hear their first line of defense, a simple spark gap device across the input line, sparking over as voltage spikes arrive.  They keep our desktop PC's humming during short outages and have a USB connection to the computer that (with provided software loaded) will gracefully shut down your computer before the UPS runs dry (typically about 3 to 5 minutes), in the event you are not present to do that. 

2.  Rather than run without a battery (presumably to avoid reducing its life by being kept at 100% charge), use the Lenovo Power Manager software to set lower and upper charge limits.   For example, if you rarely go on battery or generally do not need but an hour or two off the grid at a time, set the lower limit at 50% and the upper at 60%.  The charger will then start at 50% and turn back off at 60%, which I'm told is close to ideal for Li-ion battery life.  If you need a little more in the tank, use higher set points such as 70% and 80% which would still help extend battery life. 

3.  If a UPS is not used, I would get a quality surge arrestor even though the AC adapter does provide a degree of protection from voltage spikes.  (Defense in depth is always better.)   I have several by Monster Cable that seem very well built (about $40 USD), for use on our HDTV's.  Models are available that also protect your PC (or wireless router) from voltage spikes entering on broadband service wiring, another potential source of damage during storms.  Many units come with equipment damage insurance. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms