Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hygorhernane
Not applicable
Views: 13,128
Message 1 of 11

System Bios Locked

I bought a thinkpad t450 from a colleague at my university and he even gave me a big discount cause the laptop have some BIOS problem that he couldnt fix. I've being reaserching the problem and from the explanation he gave its like this.

- The system have some kinda of USER MODE and ADMIN MODE for the bios. I cant acess the ADMIN MODE. The USER MODE password in blank and the system kinda auto-skips the ADMIN MODE password for some reason.
- 2 important setings i need to change can only be changed in ADMIN MODE: enableing virtualization(1) tecnology and disabling secure boot(2).

I've updated the BIOS like 2-3 times already while reaseching for a solution. I remember i was kinda happy cause in the chagelog of the 1.29 BIOS update for the T450 there some lines about a fix for users with problems changing the BIOS password, but i couldnt do anything new. The laptop is already with the 1.30 BIOS version.

Can anyone think of something ? I saw some kinda crazy talks about a hardware reset in the BIOS chip, but im not that desperate. 

My system:
 T450 Thinkpad 
Intel i5 5300U
16GB DDR3 Dual Channel
250 GB SSD
-
64GB Windows 8.1
16GB Ubuntu 17.10
157GB NTFS Data Partition

Highlighted
richk
Not applicable
Views: 13,109
Message 2 of 11

Re: System Bios Locked

There is no backdoor password.  There is no reset.  The only options are to remember the password or to replace the motherboard.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Darkeye
Not applicable
Views: 13,088
Message 3 of 11

I have the same Problem with a Brandnew t560 i let it one day on the Charger After this day i couldnt turn it on . I thougt hdd has a faulty . I Changsha it But i cannot change AnY bios Setting. They are all deactivated süpervisor pass is on but the Laptop is new. I can Access the bios.please help me i paus 1500 Euro and i lost the payment bill for warrantY

hygorhernane
Not applicable
Views: 13,079
Message 4 of 11

Im not asking for a backdoor password. My problem is that the system skips the ADMIN PASSWORD and that makes me think the password is not set. I can even configure one for USER MODE and ADMIN MODE. But the ADMIN MODE never asks for the password and i cant acess the locked configurations, as i said. 

richk
Not applicable
Views: 13,065
Message 5 of 11

This is the way windows 10 works.  When you are in windows, go to settings/recovery/advanced startup/restart now

You will find an option to change UEFI settings.  It will prompt for admin password

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

hygorhernane
Not applicable
Views: 13,061
Message 6 of 11

Thats my point, the BIOS stuff asking for the password "beeps" and then ask for the USER MODE password. How can i make the system wait for me to input a password.

Theres a symbol for SYSTEM and a symbol for HARD DRIVE. The first one skips entirely and pretends i did input the right password. I can send a video if u guys want. 

richk
Not applicable
Views: 13,058
Message 7 of 11

When you talk about user mode password, do you mean power-on?

There are 4 possible passwords

1) Power On

2) Supervisor (BIOS or Administrative)

3) HDD User password

4) HDD Master password

Rich

hygorhernane
Not applicable
Views: 12,979
Message 8 of 11

Thx. I double checked.

I can only acess and change the HDD USER and the HDD MASTER. The Supervisor password is never asked. The BIOS prompts for my fingerprint after i configured it on my Ubuntu. Not really sure how this works.

How can i acess the BIOS settings in supervisor mode ?

bananaman
Not applicable
Views: 12,973
Message 9 of 11

Type the Supervisor password at the User mode prompt. If you don't know the Supervisor password, get a new motherboard.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
AngelFD
Not applicable
Views: 10,723
Message 10 of 11

I have lenovo thinkpad T410s but it does not accept my SVP any more after removing the cmos battery for some minutes. The laptop was on supervisor mode. I try to leave the supervisor mode by removing the cmos battery for a while and replace it back. When I did the laptop does not accept my BIOS password anymore .

Please any solutions 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors