Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
s440
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 486
Message 1 of 7

T 440p wifi drop intermittently,

Anyone have T440p wifi connection disconnect intermittently. I've a Dell laptop that stays connected when this is happening on the T440p, and both are right next to each other(so equidistant from the Verizon Actiontec router).

Any suggestions? It happened 4 times this morning around 8am. Been ok since about 9am(last 4 hours). I'm using this adaptor for wifi connections:

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

I also have this adaptor installed: Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter. Not connected right now at least. Wonder if there are conflicts with these 2 adaptors?

Highlighted
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 471
Message 2 of 7

Re: T 440p wifi drop intermittently,

It might be caused by power management turning off the WiFi card to save power, so if you have Lenovo Access Connection, check under Tools > Global Settings for "Allow Wireless radios ( Wifi, Mobile Broadband and Wimax ) to be turned off when inactive" and uncheck if enabled.    If you are on Windows 10, open disable power management from Device Manager. 

• Right Click on Start and select Device Manager
  • Click on Network Adapters to expand
  • Right Click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless Adapter and select Properties
  • From the Power Management tab, uncheck the option to "Allow computer to power off this device to save power"

Also be sure to install the latest Lenovo Power Management driver and Intel Wireless card drivers too.   I would steer clear of any BIOS updates unless directed to do so by Lenovo support however, as they sometimes turn systems into expensive bricks.

Good Luck,

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 455
Message 3 of 7

Is this an ongoing, if erratic issue or a new one?  Do both machines use the same wifi band, or is one 2.4GHz and one 5GHz?

Have you ruled out the silly stuff: someone was microwaving the breakfast bacon, or using a cordless phone for instance?

Had to ask,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

s440
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 430
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the reply.

This is erratic. Just happened again today. Twice. No one was using the microwave. Or the cordless phone. We do have a cordless phone in the house.

There is only one wifi band being broadcasted from the router -- an older Actiontec Router. Probably 2.4 GHz.

Also: this happened at least 3 times with my MIFI router also.  I've to use my laptop for work with VPN, so this is quite disruptive.

s440
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 422
Message 5 of 7

Hi JD,

I thought this was corrected: just followed your suggestion to uncheck "Allow computer to power off this device to save power". Thanks. Let me see what happens with this.

Regarding " Tools > Global Settings for "Allow Wireless radios ( Wifi, Mobile Broadband and Wimax ) to be turned off when inactive" and uncheck if enabled.   " that is already unchecked.

I also noticed I've 2 task bar notifications for wifi, looks like a "bar chart with narrower bars", and another a green bar chart(thick green bars from Lenovo Access Connection?). So 2 programs monitoring my wifi connections(!).

Thanks.

s440
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 343
Message 6 of 7

Still having the same issue. Even after replacing the wireles card.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 336
Message 7 of 7

Since you mention that you have two programs monitoring your Wifi,  I would try disabling Lenovo Access Connections and see if just if that is causing your issue.

You did not mention what version of Windows you are running, but to disable Lenovo Access Connections on Windows 8.1 or 10,

• Right Click on the Taskbar on the bottom of the screen, and select Task Manager, and then select the Startup tab.   
  • On the startup tab, look for Lenovo Access Connections, uncheck the box preceeding it to disable it, and then reboot your system.

If you are still having issues, you might just uninstall Lenovo Access Connections from the Programs and Features Control Panel and then reboot.

If you have not already, I would also unplug your WiFi router, wait a 10-15 seconds, and then plug it back in to reset it.

Good Luck,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors