Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
acrehberg
Paper Tape
Views: 7,037
Message 1 of 9

T-450 not powering on; lights flashing

My laptop started having trouble with logging me on. It would often take really long and sometimes not log me in at all. After my most recent login, I put my laptop in sleep mode, like I usually do. I went to use my laptop a few hours later and it would not turn on. Before you say my battery is dead, I know my battery is not dead, it just came off the charger. When I try to power it on, the power button light flashes, one second on, one second off, and so do the keyboard lights, the screen backlight, and even the fan powers on in this interval. At first I couldn't get it to even power all the way down until I found some odd forum about some weird "code" with the power button, but when I turn it back on it just does it again. I've also tried removing the battery among other things. Does anyone know what is wrong and/or how to fix it? Thanks.
vtleung
Paper Tape
Views: 7,028
Message 2 of 9

Re: T-450 not powering on; lights flashing

My son had the same problem. He didn't use the T450S for 2 weeks and it didn't power up. I followed the troubleshooting instruction and it didn't work. My son had to sent the laptop for repair. lenovo had to replace a part. My question, "Is there a bad batch of T450S?" I have a T450 also from work and I don't have a problem not using it for 2 weeks.
Former Employee
Views: 6,945
Message 3 of 9

In response to customer reports of hanging when resuming from sleep mode on T450 and T450s ThinkPads, Lenovo has made a fix available via BIOS update.

This BIOS, v1.21, can be found here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS102109

[Problem fixes]

- Fixed an issue related to system unable to power on due to chipset hang in some specific situation.

On the T450 model only, if the system does not power on after resuming from Hibernation mode or from powering off in Battery mode after updating the BIOS to v1.21, please contact Lenovo Service for support and reference Service TIP SF16-T0012/ HT117309. The laptop will need to be serviced.

Thank you,

vtleung
Paper Tape
Views: 6,937
Message 4 of 9

Amy,

That's what my son did and it is working like a charm now after it was shipped back to him. He has no complaints and was happy with the technical service.

Regards,

Victor

brucewakley
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,352
Message 5 of 9

Hello

I have this exact problem. Given I can't load the BIOS update without booting the laptop, how do I get it out of this hanging state?  Is the only answer to take the botom off and take the BIOS back up battery out or is there a key combination that will do it?  I'm having to use another PC to send this message, obviously...

Thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,340
Message 6 of 9

Have you tried the emergency reset hole on the bottom?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

brucewakley
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,335
Message 7 of 9

Yes, I have tried the reset button, with and without the main battery  fitted. I've held the power button down for more than 10 seconds to as I've read that somewhere.  Getting the laptop apart to take the CMOS battery out is a pain so I'm trying to avoid that if possible.   Would taking the CMOS battery out actually fix it anyway? Any other ideas?

vtleung
Paper Tape
Views: 6,305
Message 8 of 9

You may have to call technical support for a RMA number and send the laptop back for repair. I followed all the recommendation by tech support and the laptop was still not working.

Highlighted
brucewakley
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,269
Message 9 of 9

I took it into our local experts in the office and they said it's a well known problem.  They took the bottom off (in about 5 mins - took me about 45 mins when I fitted the additional RAM), unplugged the power feed from the BIOS battery, which is roughly in the middle at the front, and waited 30 seconds.  Plug it back in again and boot it.  Reset clock in the BIOS and I'm back in  business. We discussed the BIOS upgrade but they wouldn't load it, convinced it's a waste of time.  No advice to stop it happening again, but if it keeps happening I can see me cutting a hole in the bottom lid at the front so I can get at the plug a bit easier!  Or fitting a switch....

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors