Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lacro
Serial Port
Views: 2,472
Message 1 of 9

T4×0 Buying Decision - Please HELP me

I've been expecting for months the March T410 models, for specific features that regretably didn't come all out. (See wishes)

Anyhow, I believe the following Configure-To-Order Model might well be what I would like to get. I must be very precise, because I'm asking a friend of mine in Miami to get it for me. Although, my budget is around US$ 1200, I don't care if I need to spend even more. My policy is that if I'm about to spend almost 1k in a device that should last at least 3 Yrs, what's the point on saving features I would probably need for a few dollars more? Somehow, this notebook should replace my personal desktop, and I would occasionally  move it. After looking for reasonable products of even other brands, I fell for this T4x0 series, because 14" seems the right balanced display size for me and I like the ThinkPad design aesthatics.

2516CTO  ThinkPad T410 - 1 Year Depot Warranty 
  Intel Core i5-540M Processor (2.53GHz, 3MB L3, 1066MHz FSB)
  Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64
  14.1 WXGA+ TFT, w/ LED Backlight (WWAN antenna)  > res ??? 1440×900 - 16:10
*  Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD - AMT
  4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
  UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint Reader 
  500 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm 
  DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim (Serial ATA)
  9 cell Li-Ion Battery
  Bluetooth w/ antenna 
* Integrated WiFi wireless LAN adapters: Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (3x3 AGN)
* Wireless WAN accessories: Integrated Mobile Broadband - Upgradable
  Camera  Camera, 2.0 MP
  System expansion slot  Smart Card
  Power cord  Country Pack North America with Line cord & 65W AC adapter ->Other Countries ?
  Keyboard & Language Pack = US English  
  2516: 1 Year Depot Warranty - TopSeller7 

Payment options:   
 Subtotal: $1,740.00   Ships within 9 bus. days**
 Sale Price: $1,384.00 
eCoupon:  [USPSTPATRICKSDAY] -$69.20 - Note: The eCoupon code is case sensitive

>>> Estimated total: $1,314.80* <<<< - Total savings $425.20

My *WISHES/ concerns have to do with newer technologies, I believe would be crucial (Optimus, USB 3 and SSD).

As a HotHardware's review stated, "wouldn't it be nice if Lenovo enables soon a T4x0 option with the new NVIDIA OPTIMUS?" I've decided to go for the discrete model, until I realized I will never play any game, and would probably eat a lot of the battery life. I'm the type of user who is web dependent, office user and eventually photo edition, CAD Drawings, HD Movies, ... That's why I will trust on the new iCore.

What I would probably miss is an USB 3.0 Port, unless I get a "USB 3.0 ExpressCard 34 adapter"... and in the near future get a cheap under-US$100, 40 GB Intel X-25-V or Kingston 2.5" Solid State Drive (SSD Generation II) SATA (instead of the DVD-RW, in tandem with a good HDD), for better Win 7 Pro (64-bit) booting times.

Nevertheless, I will go for the 500 GB @ 7200, because ther is not much price difference with the 320 HDD alternative. I couldn't justify better T4x0 models (TouchScreen Tablet) or X301.

In spite of saying goodbye to the NUMERIC KEYPAD, I'd probably get an external one later.

I wasn't so "Battery-Life-conscious", until I realized the value of having the chance to avoid the need of energy. That's why I'm going for the 9-cell option.

Perhaps I would have liked a HDMI Output, and a brighter/contrast MATTE display for Outdoors. I mean, not only Non-Glare... Although I wouldn't use it much, I'like the idea of having HDMI.

I don't know if the "Lenovo 90W Ultraslim AC/DC Combo Adapter for US/Canada" would be any good down here in Argentina. Which should I ask for, then?

I can't get why every product I customize on the site, always ends with a Part number # "2516-CTO" instead of the different Type Models' Datasheets published under the PSREF area.

I also don't know which (Integrated WiFi) wireless LAN adapters/ card to choose (between the

almost same price options),
  Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (3x3 AGN) [add $40.00]  
  Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250 [add $55.00]  

and the Wireless WAN,
  Integrated Mobile Broadband - Upgradable  
  Integrated Mobile Broadband (Gobi 2000 3G with GPS) [add $150.00] - This seem very

expensive but might be recquired soon...

I've noticed that the notebooks seem to have risen their values since the beginning of february, regarding the Xmas sales. Is there any seasonal falldown soon out there in the USA?

I've been watching the lenovo OUTLET for a while now, but to expect a model like the one I'm looking anytime soon, seems a bit naive.

Where else if not lenovo's own shop, should I try to buy it from in order to get good deals? BestBuy, TigerDirect, B&H PhotoVideo, etc. Is there any retailer recommendable?

Cheers, Carlos

warder
Token Ring
Views: 2,427
Message 2 of 9

Re: T4×0 Buying Decision - Please HELP me

You'll find you can choose what you like through CTO more.  You can build fixed systems, but they probably won't be cheaper.  A similar build to your selection is 2522-25U which is >$1500.  You can find all the standard builds in the 'tabook.pdf'.

I have a similar customized build to yours.  I added the Gobi 2000 card because I travel sometimes and having integrated Cellular access is convienient. 

Unless you know you're going to use WiMax, the 6300 is the best choice for performance/sensitivity.

I choose Intel HD too.  You will not be disappointed with it - for day to day stuff it performs as well as anyone would need.

Standard 65W power supply is fine too - 95W might charge slightly faster but you won't notice.

You can get a convertor for DisplayPort -> HDMI.

For external HDD drives, you have an ESATA port.  USB 2.0 will be fast enough for all other devices you'll plug in over the next few years.  You won't need USB 3.0.

Lacro
Serial Port
Views: 2,412
Message 3 of 9

I will keep in mind every word. Thank you very much for your valuable feedback, Warder.

Regards, Carlos

Lacro
Serial Port
Views: 2,342
Message 4 of 9

Rounding up, and as there were no further suggestions and as a feedback for anyone like myself with all the previous background already published, I will go forward with the following customized T410.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any fixed system in TABOOK.PDF, which apply to what I intended. So I should get,

2516-CTO  ThinkPad T410 - 1 Year Depot Warranty - TopSeller7 @ Ships within 9 bus. days**   $1,740.00 =>  * $ 1,384.00.- *(Perhaps I'll wait a few more days for an eCoupon Rebate offer or Outlet whatever Price Reduction option there might come first)

Intel Core i5-540M Processor (2.53GHz, 3MB L3, 1066MHz FSB)
  4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
  14.1 WXGA+ TFT, w/ LED Backlight (WWAN antenna) 
  Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD - AMT 
  500 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
  DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim (Serial ATA)
  9 cell Li-Ion Battery
  Bluetooth w/ antenna 
  Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (3x3 AGN) 
  Integrated Mobile Broadband - Upgradeable
  UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint Reader
  Genuine Windows 7 Professional 3212 

Regarding the $ 130 TigerDirect price tagged, for the Intel SSDSA2MP040G2R5 X25-V SSD SATA 2.5" of 40GB, I'm considering getting it now (to have 7 installed there and improve booting times). Although, I would like to keep the bigger HHD and even the DVD Writer... which probably will end out... and I will already have to travel with an external portable numeric keypad...

Cheers, Carlos

Lacro
Serial Port
Views: 2,122
Message 5 of 9

I've recently read in storagesearch.com, that PCIe SSDs were winning the 2009 race against the 2.5" SSDs. I'm not that familiar with these technology. Though I'm planning on getting the latter/ cheaper one (40 GB 2.5" from Intel for almost $ 100) for improving booting times with a 7 Pro32, where (Port/ Slot) do I connect it? Is there any room either for an extra PCIe device or SATA disk for that matter? (I mean without taking the removable primary HDD and/or the DVD burner).

The T410 DataSheet reference in the Tabook.PDF, states there is One (1) modular Slim Ultrabay (9.5 mm high) bottom accessed for interchangeable devices on the right side, and that the system supports a 2nd disk. is that right? At the end of the page, it also states there are Two (2) PCI Express Mini Card slots (I guess bottom accessed). Anyway, which devices are suitable for the SmartCard Reader and the Express Card 34?

Besides that, how come this recent model doesn't support the SDXC card format?

While still waiting for an eCoupon for the T410 from Lenovo-Dealnews, MS Store, lenovo Outlet/ Special Offer or whatever retailer, in order to save at least 15%, I keep on wondering options for the previously mentioned 2516-CTO. The only fixed system which gets close to my desired one, is the 2518-F5U (page 39 from 194) , but with the wrong Graphics and PCIe Mini Card. Either both of them customized should be around $ 1400 (without interstate taxes and shipping).

For some strange reason the 2510-CTO from "Save on Select ThinkPad Laptops-Savings' Offer which ends on April 7, went up $ 10 against my normally priced at $ 1384 CTO-system from my previous message. Hope but don't know if lenovo might surprise me soon with the right fixed option in the next monthly-update-PSREF or at least a decent eCoupon sale rebate.

I'm also planning on getting a few Logitech gadgets for $ 135 although not mandatory, like a Unifying (Wireless) Number KeyPad, a Mouse and HeadSet (for private comms).

Any comments are welcome.

Lacro
Serial Port
Views: 1,820
Message 6 of 9

Re: HELP - How to ADD (NOT REPLACE) a 2nd HDD (or SSD) to a lenovoT410

I wonder how to take advantage of the "SATA PCI-e Mini-Card SSD" form factor, if it can be used as main memory, in a combination with the original HDD as Supporting Secondary Storage Space for data.

As stated in previous messages, and Thanks to this forum advice, I've just bought a T410 2516-CTO (almost similar than the fixed system Type Model 2518-F5U Discrete TopSeller Win 7, NZ1-3, Mar 10, Page 45 of 203, from the tabook375.PDF), with Win 7 Pro 32, HD Graph Integrated, WXGA+, Core I5-540M-2.53 GHZ, 4GB, 500GB @ 7200 rpm, DVD Rec, Intel 6300, >WWAN upg<, BT, Modem, Ethernet, UltraNav, Smart Card, FingerPrint Rdr, Cam 2MP, 9c + *Ultraslim AC/DC Combo Adapter Accesory ...

I'd probably get it in a month from now. Currently anyhow, I don't have or plan to use a WWAN card, BUT want to make use of the Mini PCIe slot (or whatever user-accesible drive bay).

By the way, swapping drives may void my notebook warranty. Anyone, could confirm?

Due to my ignorance, I bought an Intel SSDSA2MP040G2R5 X25-V Solid State Drive - 40GB, SATA, 2.5". Only afterwards, I realized I won't be able to connect it [the SSD] to my new notebook. WHERE would I plug it?

Keep in mind, I don't intend to use it externally (with a USB or eSATA port), neither want to replace my HDD nor the Optical Drive [Modular UltraBay Slim SATA]. Once again, I misunderstood the expression in the SATA Disk area from the monthly-update-PSREF, that stated it supports a 2nd disk.

So, WHICH SSD TYPE should I buy (for almost the same specs 32-64 GB, transfer rates and price range US$ 100-150)?

I understand this T410 (which I will be getting in a few more weeks), has also a) one full or half ? Mini PCIe slot free at the bottom (although for connectivity purposes for their PCI Express Mini Card for wireless LAN/WiMAX & WAN), as well as b) an ExpressCard 34 Slot.

If the first case would be possible, I should check the volume space available at the bottom as well as the card size in order to verify if they match. 

I also understand there are many SSD form factors available, ranging from 2.5" and 1.8" as well as a PCIe format, and different interfaces (SATA SSD, PATA / IDE SSD, Express Card SSD and PCIe SSD).

Considering that Mini-PCIe interface might not be possible (still don't know for sure), I realized an Express Card 34 option that I also wasn't planning to use, might well be the solution. Even found an example for the ExpressCard 34 slot.

Besides, I also googled for other options between 32 and 48 GB -in the same price range- like the ones below, but still don't know if their Form Factor Types are suitable for my T410... though many seem to be suggested for the Asus Eee Netbooks.

- Wintec FileMate 48GB Ultra ExpressCard (Interface Type) SSD 3FMS4D48M-WR - PCI-e, Mini USB 2.0 (Interface)
- OCZ miniPCI-Express SSD (SATA) 32 GB Internal hard drive - 110 MBps - Part Number OCZSSDMPES-32G 

I've read one Customer Comment, who stated WATCH YOUR FORM FACTOR TYPE! Most if not all newer Notebooks use Type IIIA: 124-Pin Card Edge 2.4 59.6 50.95 mm...

Could any of these products, be bootable for Win 7 as the main drive in my new T410? 

Is there a solution for this situation? Perhaps, there is not and may be there is no more room left for this.

I appreciate any clue. Tks in advance, Carlos

PS:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/53144-35-work-minipcie-slot
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250269-32-boot-mini-pcie-sata-laptop

BIOS problems may exist, even if normal BIOS should all boot from PCI/ PCIe controller.

Though for the operating system, I may need specific drivers.

Do you known anyone using this configuration?

(Using a small SSD in the mini PCIe for the Operating System and a regular 2.5 HD for storage)

The PCIe Mini SSD has to have a SATA controller to be able to work on a LAPTOP.

The current Mini-PCIe SSDs on some netbooks, which don’t use TRUE PCIe slots.

They use a modified version, that routes a SATA interface though the Mini-PCIe connector.

They ONLY work on specific netbooks, and are at the mercy of the netbooks built-in SATA controller.
Instead of that, the new S card here has it’s own ON-BOARD SATA controller, and uses the Mini-PCIe interface.

It will work in any proper Mini-PCIe slot, and much faster than the Netbook SSD’s too.

warder
Token Ring
Views: 1,755
Message 7 of 9

The T410 has one 2.5" drive bay - so it only supports a second drive through the Optical Drive bay - you would have to buy that adaptor and switch between either the DVD or the second HDD.

You could use the Intel SSD you mentioned as the primary boot device, instead of the HDD the laptop comes with - in fact it will work well for that, however 40GB is quite small to be the only drive to have.

Perhaps use an external eSATA drive bay, or USB DVD drive for when you have to use that.

On the mini-PCIe front, note that you have to be careful about which cards you can put in there - most manufacturers restrict the cards that operate in a laptop... probably to make you buy their cards.  It would probably require BIOS support as well, and those SSDs are slower than a SATA SSD.  I would not like to try and make one work.

TheDude
802.11n
Views: 1,740
Message 8 of 9

I do NOT think the PCIe SSDs will work in this model. The mini-card I believe has to have a wwhite-listed card in it and only works with wireless.

I would suggest going ahead with an X25-M if you can afford the difference (about $100) as 80 GB is a much nicer size for you main drive over time, and the drive is faster than the V.

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40
Lacro
Serial Port
Views: 1,683
Message 9 of 9

I hope you forgive me for the extension of my message. My intention was to state all the restrictions.

I've already spent a lot of money in the T410, and choose a fine 500 @ 7200 HDD.

If I would have preferred ONLY a SSD, I should have chosen a much more expensive one in order to replace it.

The whole point was to have simultaneously a small and cheap SSD (an Intel V 40GB U-$100), in order to improve the Win 7 booting and loading times along other few Apps (certainly less than 30GB altogether), as well as keeping the original HDD for storage and without giving the Optical drive away, or leaving anyone of these two externally connected through USB, eSATA, or whatever slot/port e.g.. Because I need both of them as well as the storage space in a mobile way. That's why I never considered the proper "Ultrabay Slim 9.5mm Serial ATA Hard Drive Bay Adapter III 43N3412".

However you explained me a few points I didn't get before, such as the nature of the 2.5" drive bay.

Then again, I would like to know for sure the chances with the Mini-PCIe SSDs and ExpressCard34 slots, before I sell the wrong SSD I bought, instead of trying to change it for one of these options for almost the same amount of money.

You're both probably right and I should give up trying to make this scheme work out, but thought I should share my concerns here.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors