Options

9 Posts

12-14-2009

Texas

31 Signins

234 Page Views

• Views: 234
  • Message 1 of 8

T400 2764CTO - Wireless Connection Drops - System Freeze!

2009-12-14, 15:55 PM

Hello,

I got my laptop last weekend. Everything was fine once it was working on AC power.

Connection was steady and internet pages opened very fast. Then once I switch to battery, it starts to drop connection, even if I'm pretty close to the wireless router and then screen freeze, system hanged and I needed to force shut down!

I know so many people suffer from Lenovo/IBM wireless connection and I don't know why this brand laptop has this issue for a long time and why Lenovo doesn't come up with a solution forever! I read several thread to find a solid answer for this problem, but none of them helped me to a steady solution, here is what I tried:

1- I removed Access connection software, and let Windows 7 control the connection, it was good for a while then it started going crazy again dropping wireless signal and system freeze. 

2- I upgrade wireless driver and Access connection software to the latest version in lenovo support website, I also upgrade lenovo power management software. but still the same issue with wireless drop.

Any idea to how may I fix this issue forever?

My system OS: Windows 7 64-bit

Wireless Card: ThinkPad 11 b/g/n mini PCI adapter (ii) (this is not Intel , I guess Realtek)

Access Connection software version 5.42 

Thanks in advance

Solved! See the solution
Options

23 Posts

01-29-2009

Toronto, Canada

748 Signins

3687 Page Views

• Views: 3687
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: T400 constantly - Wireless Connection Drops - System Freeze!

2009-12-14, 16:25 PM

Here, here!!

I also have a T400 2764CTO with the Intel 5300 card.  The speed is constantly fluctuating (for no apparent reason i.e. Interference, etc.) or the signal drops altogether.

I could write a book on the troubleshooting I've done with this card and my router (D-link DIR-615).  Most of which I've read other users have already tried.

If Lenovo or Intel would just let me know what actually works with this card (i.e. new router, operating system, drivers, etc.) - I'll go buy it.  I've never encountered a non-hardware problem like this before and it's wasted an enormous amount of my time on an otherwise excellent laptop.

I agree with the sentiments above - any help is appreciated and thank-you in advance for any advise.

Options

7972 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77046 Signins

2175113 Page Views

• Views: 2175113
  • Message 3 of 8

2009-12-14, 18:40 PM

What worked for me was swapping the 5300 for a 5100 :(  That was suggested by 2nd-level Lenovo support.  My issues were rather different than yours.

Are there power options specific to wifi and battery operation?  Can you set the card to full power and turn off wifi power management?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

9 Posts

12-14-2009

Texas

31 Signins

234 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2009-12-15, 5:11 AM

OK, here is my new solution! after a long frustration with system hang up!!!

I tried to figure out after reviewing all your issues comparing to mine and I realized that the issue is not software or driver. beside the fact zoltanthegypsy  said that problem resolved by swaping from 5300 to 5100. so definitely the problem is with the hardware. so don't fool with a checkbox or setting in Access Connection software or Windows WiFi management. It is not gonna resolve your issue!

Here is my solution: I bought a Belkin N+ Wireless Router from Costco for 75 bucks. it's not just a router, it is also a USB hub which you can connect a Hard Drive and use it as a shared storage in your wireless network.

No I don't have even a milisecond drop in my connection and signal is strong between (85 to 99%).

Internet is so fast and webpages open up instantly after click.

I'll keep you guys updated if I had any issue in a long run.

Happy Holidays!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

9 Posts

12-14-2009

Texas

31 Signins

234 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2009-12-17, 2:56 AM

Here is new update: after two days working with MAXIMUM POWER SAVING options of Access Connection/Windows Wireless Management tools, not even a single wireless drop happened to my laptop.

Options

9 Posts

12-14-2009

Texas

31 Signins

234 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2009-12-24, 8:25 AM

Attention All Lenovo Thinkpad T400 owners - (which your machine utilized with Thinkpad bgn Wireless Adapter)!!!

I found that the driver provided in Lenovo Support website is not the latest one! you need to go to www.realtek.com.tw and download the latest 8192SE series driver and setup the new drivers manually!

Remember this website is for T400 machines with Thinkpad bgn Adapter. my machine works smoothly now!

Options

2 Posts

06-17-2009

CA

12 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 7 of 8

2010-01-15, 18:23 PM

I was having exactly this problem, and installing the driver from Realtek solved my issue.  Thanks.

Jeff

Options

6 Posts

11-12-2010

India

12 Signins

57 Page Views

• Views: 57
  • Message 8 of 8

2010-11-12, 21:45 PM

Are you sure about using the Realtek driver ? This is an Intel hardware (5100 or 5300). Let me know cause I am facing similar dilemma.

Cheers

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete