Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
loko
Paper Tape
Views: 884
Message 1 of 8

T400 Boot problem

I have a strange boot problem: Whenever I reboot my T400, the machine freezes immediately after loading grub. (it passes the ThinkPad screen fine). I multiboot linux/win7, and this is not a grub problem, since when I boot Win7 the machine freezes somewhere in the windows loader, (the windows logo shows) and when I boot linux it freezes in the linux boot loader, with a blank screen, showing just a blinking underline. The disk seems ok too, since I can go for months having the machine sleep to RAM and resume without problem. It freezes only at boot, and the only way to get past it is to remove the power cable+battery/hold power button and pray. Any ideas for a more permanent solution?
mereTz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 871
Message 2 of 8

Re: T400 Boot problem

maybe it's a disk problem on a windows sector....try this -> http://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=6565 <- maybe you have bad sectors or bad system files. This will find them Smiley Happy

Lenovo T400: Intel P8400 @ 2.26Ghz, 8GB DDR3, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 128 GB, intel GMA 4500MHD, Windows 7 Pro
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 868
Message 3 of 8

loko, hello and welcome,

No answer, just questions:  "whenever" you reboot - as in every time?  And specifically _reboot_ as opposed to cold boot?  Reboot from Win to Win, Lin to LIin, Win to Lin, Lin to Win?  And warm reboot, or full power off, power on reboot?

When you reboot, is it always from an OS that has been fully shut down and _to_ an OS that has been previously fully shut down?

I've seen some pretty strange things happen when one reboots a hibernated OS where in the meantime the other OS has touched the file system.  I wouldn't expect grub to care, unless this is grub2 - then who knows?

Also have seen some pretty strange stuff when warm rebooting from Linux to Windows.  It can leave BIOS in a strange state.  On my desktop, my NIC will be dead until I do a full cold boot - from AC mains off.

Just tossing *stuff* at the wall here,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

loko
Paper Tape
Views: 859
Message 4 of 8

@mereTz: I was suspecting something similar, but opposite initially: problems with the linux boot partition (i mostly use linux, so the problem appeared there first) Then I tried booting windows, and noticed the freezes occur there too, but a bit different, windows gets to show the logo before the freeze. Since these are different partitions, i now think it's unlikely to be a bad sectors problem. Also, the Lenovo BIOS disk check runs fine. @zoltan: it happens on both warm and cold boots, and on all lin->lin, lin->win etc combinations. With properly shut down OS-es, no hibernation. (i have also seen strange effects with my wwan card when going win->lin, but the freezes happen on cold boots as well.) what seems to avoid the freezes is to either keep the machine unplugged for a long time (hours!) -- temperature relation? -- or to do the unplug+remove battery+press power button -- contradict temperature relation ?!?
Former Employee
Views: 838
Message 5 of 8

hi loko,

At this point its really hard to determined what exactly is causing you issue. But however U want tant to check our hintand tips guide. When i was look through the Lenovo hints and tip there is a possibility that the causes may lie through the hint and tips we have provided. Please do check the links below and check to see if any of the issues relate to yours or not. There is possibilty that it may solve the issue that you're facing.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/default.page?

Upon going to the site, please ensure that you opeth the section that says " Lockup and Hangs". 

Do let us know of the updates.

Regards

loko
Paper Tape
Views: 819
Message 6 of 8

i have checked the hints and tips guide provided, and the solution to a few similar lockups was to flash a newer BIOS. I have upgraded the BIOS to the latest version (3.23) but the problem persists. however, i have done some more tests, and i found something that might give us a clue: the problem is avoided when cold booting with the ac adapter unplugged. I have tried that a few times, and i can report that while warm booting the problem persists no matter of the power source, but while cold booting, the problem appears on ac power, and does not appear on battery power. Any suggestions?
TheDude
802.11n
Views: 801
Message 7 of 8

wow, interesting case. I would guess it is something in the power circuitry that is just enough out of spec that when warm and receiving power (attempting to charge perhaps?) it causes a lock-up. If you are under warranty I would have it checked.
T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40
Former Employee
Views: 795
Message 8 of 8

hi loko,

Based on what you posted here, i will to agree with TheDude. There appears to be something relating to circutry. Possible to do with the mother in which you will need to contact our support team for that matter. However After checking through, we do have a Power management and Patch for the power management loaded into our site. I was was wondering if you have treid those already. If you have not, try updating those first. The link for the download canbe found below.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/default.page?

Let me know how it goes and show the issue still persist, please contact our support team for further assistance.

regards 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors