Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team

Community Spotlight

Visit the Community Blog

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Paper Tape
0 Kudos

T400 Graphic driver change

Hi,I've had the T400 more than a year now and had always been bugged by the display driver 'amdkmdap' crashes ( http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/R400-T400-T500-W500-display-driver-quot-amd... ) . I dont normally play a lot of games, but crashing every few hours is finally getting on my nerve.

I just want to ask some questions:

1) If I were to give up on the switchable graphics driver/functionality from lenovo and use ATI's original drivers, wil lthat fix the crash? If so, anything I need to look out for when installing ATI's own drivers?

2) I'm considering changing to windows 7 if it will help the situation. Will it?

802.11n
0 Kudos

Re: T400 Graphic driver change

I have run ATI driver on the T61 and T400 have not had any issues.

I have seen cases where I have fought for days trying to fix the problem a particular user's machine(windows repair, ATI drivers, registry recleaning) and there has been no way I could eliviate the issue without a reimage.

Try the following before making the switch to the ATI driver.

Run a program for cleaning up behind uninstallers like

revouninstaller(Free!)

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

use it to uninstall the GPU driver, all registry entries and dormant files.

The issues is usually causes from a corrupted ATI file being left behind. Reinstalling will leave this file intact and you will continue to have the problem,

Windows 7 actually loads a default video card driver...in which most cases causes your machine to BSOD Smiley Very Happy

but this was solved by just updating the driver. The problem can occur in 7 as well. The problem occurs in only 7 and vista due to the aero theme using 3D acceleration all the TIME! so...even if you don't play any games...you are using your graphics card constantly in direct X 10 mode just to see the start menu.