Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

11-21-2015

Spain

9 Signins

47 Page Views

• Views: 47
  • Message 1 of 1

T400 - How to wipe hard drive and reinstall OS if rescue & recovery fails

2015-11-21, 19:19 PM

Hello,

I've had to pull out my old T400 as a backup machine after sending in my current T420s for repairs, but the T400 is running so excruciatingly slowly that I've decided I need a fresh install of everything. I tried rescue and recovery but it didn't work. I suspect this was because the computer was originally delivered with Vista plus an XP downgrade disk, which I immediately used. I then later had problems and had a computer shop wipe everything and install Windows 7, so I assume at some point in this process the original rescue & recovery mechanism was lost.

Question is what do I do now? I have Windows 7 discs, but otherwise no backup discs for this computer. I've read that all I need to do is to insert the Windows discs in the drive, boot the computer, select F12 to boot from disc, and proceed from there. Is it really that simple, or is there anything else I need to have available, or look out for, before I start the process? Even though this machine is slow, at least it's working more or less, so I don't want to mess anything up and be unable to work entirely before my T420 is back from the shop.

All advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Susan

Moderator comment: Model added to subject for clarity.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms