cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rturso
What's DOS?
Views: 4,756
Message 1 of 8

T400 Intel WiFi Card 5100 drops connection.

Hello. We are receiving T400 laptops.  These laptops do not hold a wireless connection for any length of time.  They also have a hard time connecting at boot up.  Item that have been tried...

01) Removed and re-installed Drivers.

02) Removed and reinstalled Access Connections. (Leap Authorization is used)

03) Removed and replaced the Wireless Card. FRU 43Y6943.

We are using Windows Xp with SP 2.  The laptop runs fine and we have no complaints with the exception of the wireless.  I might mention that we had the same issue with T61 Models.  To resolve this issue, we removed the B/G/N card and installed B/G cards.  We do not utilize "N" Band, so we do not need this capability.  I was looking for a way to do the same to the T400 Laptops, but I am unable to find a compatible B/G card to use.  The BIOS generates the 1082 error if we attempt to use a card that is not approved for the model.  Any assistance would be appreciated...

Thanks. Bob...

Retired Guru
Views: 4,686
Message 2 of 8

Re: T400 Intel WiFi Card 5100 drops connection.

Have you installed the latest drivers from Intel?

The drivers provided by Lenovo, in most cases, may not be the latest ones.

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
MytonLopez
Paper Tape
Views: 4,632
Message 3 of 8

Download this wireless driver for the T400  http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-52527 .  We had problems with the new wireless driver and trying to change password in XP and it would bluescreen.  Someone suggested on another blog to download this driver and it worked like a charm. 
rturso
What's DOS?
Views: 4,620
Message 4 of 8

Hello and thanks for the reply.  Yes the latest drivers have been istalled from Intel.  Access Connections has been removed and installed from both Lenovo and our internal Web download site.  I have even gone as far as to replace the wireless card and install a new operatring system.  Nothing appears to work.  The older A/B/G cards in the T42 series work fine.  The newer "N" band capable cards are giving us a hard time in our fab.  The T61 units and now the T400 units have "N" band cards which are havng connection issues.  We were able to install a B/G card in the T61 units which solved our problem with them.  I am unable to find a B/G card for the T400 units.  I feel this would solve this issue for these units as well.  Any ideas are welcome...
rturso
What's DOS?
Views: 4,619
Message 5 of 8

Hello.  I went and looked at this driver.  As per the link, it is not for the T400 laptop or the Intel 5100 Card.  Has this driver installed in the Intel 5100 Wireless Card?  I am not in the position to try this right now, but I am curious if this driver has indeed loaded. 
MytonLopez
Paper Tape
Views: 4,612
Message 6 of 8

Your right about it not listing T400 for this driver - http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-52527 but trust me we have T400's and switched to this driver because with the latest driver for what ever reason would bluescreen when you press ctrl+alt+del and click change password.  It's weird but trust me I had troubleshooted everything and was at a lost until I found anothe blog that this guy mentioned and tested it out and guess what it worked.  Uninstall the wireless from device manager and run the setup.exe and delete previous installation and reboot.  It's that simple.  It will install the wireless card that came with the T400 without you having to swap the cards. 
rturso
What's DOS?
Views: 4,604
Message 7 of 8

Ok. Thanks for the information.  I will give it a shot next week....  Thanks again, Bob.
MytonLopez
Paper Tape
Views: 4,575
Message 8 of 8

Ok I had to re-image my T400 today.  In the Device Manager my wireless shows up as an Intel (R) WiFi Link 5100AGN.  I had uninstalled it.  I had ran the setup after downloading from site - http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-52527 and selected to delete previous install during the setup and rebooted and it still showed up as an Intel (R) WiFi Link 5100AGN in the Device Manager and workes without any issues.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors