Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jsyt
Punch Card
Views: 1,757
Message 1 of 2

T400 Lid Latch Broken

So I've had my T400 for about a month now.  Yesterday, when I took the laptop out of my bag and tried to open the lid, it didn't work.  The spring seems to be broken so the hook on the left side of the lid isn't moving.  I need to use a card to slide the hook over in order to open up my laptop.  The spring on the left hook is fine, but the latch on the right and the spring for the right hook must've broke.

I called into Lenovo and they are sending me a box to send it into the depot tomorrow, but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to open up my LCD and try to fix it myself, the spring should just be dislodged. Fixing it myself will save me a lot of time.

I'm looking at this manual ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/43y6629.pdf and it doesn't seem too complicated.  I found the FRU for the screw caps (FRU 43Y9635) and what I believe to be the hook and latch lever (FRU 43Y9633), does Lenovo send out these parts for free?

Before I attempt to do anything,  I was wondering if this would void my warranty?

Thanks

Message Edited by jsyt on 10-01-2008 10:21 PM
Message Edited by jsyt on 10-01-2008 10:33 PM
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,720
Message 2 of 2

Re: T400 Lid Latch Broken

I would suggest leaving the DIY alone. The front bezel is attached to the screen using a very thin double sided tape, removing the bezel will damage the tape. This would be a dead give away that it had been removed should service be required at a later date.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors