Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hatakekakashi
Paper Tape
Views: 2,872
Message 1 of 10

T400 Speaker problem

Hi everyone,

I bought my T400 1 year ago. My OS was Windows Vista 32-bit. For the first 6 months after buying the laptop, I have used the speakers quite frequently and there was no problem at all. After that, (due to some external reasons) I stopped using them and switched to using the headphone instead. Today I switched back to using the speakers and there was a problem with one of them: The left speaker produced buzz noises when at high volume. Well, I believe that when at low volume it also made these annoying buzz noises and they were just more difficult to detect. The right speaker still worked ok.

I have already reinstalled my audio driver but it did not help.

So what's wrong with my T400's left speaker?

Thanks in advance!

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,871
Message 2 of 10

Re: T400 Speaker problem

try to switch the inbuilt mic off. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
hatakekakashi
Paper Tape
Views: 2,861
Message 3 of 10

Hi lead_org,

Thank you for your answer. I did what you said but the problem still remains. Could you please tell me any more suggestion?

Views: 2,855
Message 4 of 10

this could mean that the left speaker could either have a damaged speaker cone surface like a kink or deep scratch, or the screw that holds the speaker to the chassis is loose, so at resonance frequency you hear those distortions. 

Regards,

Jin Li

hatakekakashi
Paper Tape
Views: 2,837
Message 5 of 10

Thank you for your answer. I also guess that there could be a physical damage with the left speaker. Perhaps I will have to disassemble the machine to find out the exact problem.

Views: 2,835
Message 6 of 10

the physical damage is more to do with problems of the kink on the speaker cone, as the distortion is only evident at higher volume.

Regards,

Jin Li

hatakekakashi
Paper Tape
Views: 2,812
Message 7 of 10

Well, if that's the case then is there anything I can do by myself? Is this type of damage difficult to handle? If this is an easy-to-fix problem I plan to solve it all alone otherwise I will have to bring it to the technicians...

Views: 2,807
Message 8 of 10

are you still within warranty??

I am not sure whether the problem lies within the speaker set itself or on the motherboard, you have to test the system by putting in a new speaker set and see whether that solves the problem, if not then the motherboard replacement would be in order, which will be expensive if you don't have warranty. In which case you would probably just use an external speaker set through the earphone jack, and forget about the whole replacement ideas due to cost.

A replacement motherboard would probably cost you around 40 to 60% cost of a new laptop, which is in my mind a time and money wasting venture to fix a speaker issue. 

Regards,

Jin Li

hatakekakashi
Paper Tape
Views: 2,774
Message 9 of 10

Unfortunately my 1-year warranty already ended (just few weeks ago). Anyways your solution is the best thing I can do at this moment. Thank you very much.

jakobsod
Paper Tape
Views: 946
Message 10 of 10

Hi!

I have a t410i and am confronted with the same problem. The left speaker produces noisy sound. Its more obvious the louder the volume.

I've sent in the laptop since warranty is valid. After a quick pickup-check-and-back-delivery there was no difference noticeable apart of a clean screen.

I'm encouraged to try again and thanks to this post more strongly demand a speaker change.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors