cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joszab
What's DOS?
Views: 526
Message 1 of 6

T400 ThinkPad not booting to windows, will boot to Rescue Recovery but cannot restore

hey everyone first time user and hope the Lenovo community can give me some guidance!

Of course Warranty just ran out last June and now this problem started up last night.

i have a ThinkPad T400 type 2764.   Currently this is my problem:

My computer has crashed within the  Windows Vista environment.  Forced shut down to restart the computer.  After the shut down my computer has not been able to boot back into Windows.

Originally ran a HD Disk test from the BIOS:

Passed the controller test

Failed the Read Verification Test and Speed test, cancelled the test there.

Then I booted into the Rescue Recovery Environment (F11)

Booted fine.  Could read my internal hard drive that I thought was toast.  I was able to pull off all current files since last backup.  (The last backup was also in June of '13) 

After that I proceeded to view my June 2013 backup.  Starts to proceed through the questions do you want to proceed etc.. finally click go and then I get a pause as the computer searches the external drive.  At that point I receive the message "The restore could not be executed because the selected backup was taken with a previous version of Rescue and Recovery"

Not sure where to proceed from here.  I ran the PC doctor tests on the internal hard drive after and the results were:

Random Seek test: pass

Funnel Seek test: pass

Surface Scan Test: fail

Smart Status test: pass

Smart short self test: fail

Smart extended self test: fail

Smart conveyance self Test: fail

So I am assuming my hard drive needs to be replaced... What hard drive do I buy in the current market place?  I was hoping, as this is an older computer, to keep costs down.  I am not sure when something else decides to wear out.  Other articles were describing Legacy 512 and Advanced format Hard drives.  Do I have to be weary when shopping to pick the right one?

After purchase of another hard drive, can I boot from some type of Rescue Recovery Disc that is the correct version as my backups and use that to prepare/install the OS to the new Hard Drive?

How do I know what version they are in?

Sorry i do not have any of the Recovery CDs I made due to moves within the last few years.

Sorry more questions than answers in this post.  If you need any more information please let me know. 

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 500
Message 2 of 6

Re: T400 ThinkPad not booting to windows, will boot to Rescue Recovery but cannot restore

any 2.5 inch SATA hdd with 7 mm or 9.5 mm will work, advanced format system won't matter provide you are not using Lenovo Recovery media or cloning the old hdd.

I would say just get a Windows 7 or Windows 8 retail installation media, and not use the recovery media for your new hdd.

If you are using the recovery media, AFS hdd won't work properly. Also they cost about 50 dollars from Lenovo.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
joszab
What's DOS?
Views: 481
Message 3 of 6

Re: T400 ThinkPad not booting to windows, will boot to Rescue Recovery but cannot restore

Is there a way of using an older restore and recovery boot disc downloaded from the lenovo website, "http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=migr-54483"

To upload an old backup from an external hard drive onto a new non-Advance Format hard drive?

And if so how do I ensure the hard drive I purchase is a Legacy drive?

I would like to avoid paying for another Operating System

Views: 475
Message 4 of 6

The recovery discs you need can't be downloaded, the file you are referring to will only work provide you have an OS already installed.

You can purchase the hdd from Lenovo using the part number of your broken hdd. Otherwise ask the retailer about whether it is AFS or not. Most large capacity hdd nowadays are AFS.
Regards,

Jin Li

joszab
What's DOS?
Views: 450
Message 5 of 6

I took one more stab at Rescue Recovery last night and was successful at resetting the hard drive to its factory settings. 

I had already backed everything so I was not worried about reverting the system to its factory state.

The question is now... I know the Hard drive is about to wear out.  From here I assume I buy a 2.5 Drive and clone my current drive to the 2.5 Drive hooked up externally.  Is it as easy as that? 

Does it matter still if I buy an AF drive or Legacy Drive?  Any suggestions on making the change to a new hard drive would be welcomed.

Views: 441
Message 6 of 6

Hdd Company like WD has free utilities that allows cloning from non AFS to AFS hdd.
Regards,

Jin Li

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors