Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drekce
Paper Tape
Views: 1,138
Message 1 of 3

T400 Windows 7 or Vista Clean Install - Can't Detect Hard Drive

I've attempted to install Windows Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64 using retail copies of both OS's on my T400. Neither OS can find the hard drive during the install process. I've downloaded every driver possible from Lenovo and loaded them via USB during the install, with absolutely no luck. I've installed Ubuntu in the meantime to have a usable computer, but I really need Win7 on there, so I have to figure this out. Any solutions? (and telling me to go download the driver isn't going to help me). Also, I've messed around with the AHCI setting in the BIOS, but that didn't help either. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,108
Message 2 of 3

Re: T400 Windows 7 or Vista Clean Install - Can't Detect Hard Drive

Weird.  Win 7 Pro 64 installed on my T400 without any issues that I can recall.  I realize that doesn't help you much Smiley Sad

I was doing a clean upgrade install using a Microsoft upgrade DVD over the top of a Vista installation.

Since you've already tried fiddling the  ACHI/IDE mode the only other thing I can think is something about your initial disk partitioning or formatting (or lack of same) confused the installers.  (I realize a confused MS installer is hard to imagine...)

Maybe fire up your Ubuntu live CD and dd some zeros to the first few sectors of your drive and try again.  Or format the thing w/your choice of FAT32 partitions and see if that makes the installer(s) happier.

What model drive are you using?  Is it the original drive (not that it should matter, mine wasn't)?  What was installed on the machine initially?

Just pulling stuff out of my <....>,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

drekce
Paper Tape
Views: 1,093
Message 3 of 3

Re: T400 Windows 7 or Vista Clean Install - Can't Detect Hard Drive

I figured it out. For whatever reason I had to remove ALL partitions on the drive and create a single NTFS partition (using gParted) and then it showed up. I didn't have to even install a driver during the install (BIOS was set to compatibility mode). 

I've never seen this before on any of the multitude of dual boot machines I've built in the past. Oh well, at least its working now. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors